Author Topic: Cleaning up shiny tru oil in carving?  (Read 3109 times)

medbill

Cleaning up shiny tru oil in carving?
« on: November 24, 2013, 03:24:45 AM »
Hey Guys, rookie question but don't want to mess up a nice job I did taking care of some bad stains on a rifle I picked up years ago.  I can't see the stains which were probably from cleaning solution or whatever.  Prob now is the carving  in the tights spots is shiny from the truoil.  Any tips on how to knock it back? I was thinking a piece of paper towel wrapped around a toothpick or something.  Will wait till I hear from you all though before I go and mess it up.  Thanks!  Bill

Offline KLMoors

Re: Cleaning up shiny tru oil in carving?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 03:51:02 AM »
Try a toothbrush with a little finish on it first. If that doesn't do it, a toothbrush with some rottenstone mixed with some oil should do it.

Offline Artificer

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 05:13:52 AM »
Bill,

I work with Tru Oil ALL the time.

First thing is raid the wife’s or girlfriend’s supply of Q tips for about a half dozen of them.  Sounds like with your avatar, you might get some at work. 

Dip one end in acetone and squeeze it out so the tip is damp, but not wet.  Lightly swipe over the oil at first to maybe having to apply a little pressure on it.  As the ends get dirty, use a new end that is damp with acetone.  This will quickly knock off the shine without damaging the finish or anything else around it.

Gus

necchi

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 07:01:36 AM »
Good advice above,
I'll add that if it's a tight/tiny spot,  pull some of the cotton off the Q tip first.
It's easier to go bigger if you need to than un-do too much the first time.

greybeard

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »
If push comes to shove try an old shaving brush dipped in powdered pummis. use it  dry. I wasn shown this by an  old English tradesman who did a lot of restoratin=on vintags English furniture that had carving.     Bob

medbill

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 02:49:40 PM »
Thanks everyone, running late into the deer woods, will give it a try.  Really appreciate it!

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 06:54:27 PM »
Show off!!
In His grip,

Dane