Author Topic: The cigarette lighter/flint mechanism is back  (Read 4140 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
The cigarette lighter/flint mechanism is back
« on: January 23, 2009, 07:56:31 PM »
Was cruising ebay yesterday & found a "new" idea for flintlocks.  Recently patented, no less.  A guy has rigged a rotating sparker ala the cigarette lighter to fit in the jaws of a flint cock.  I remember this idea being advertised back in the '70s& it was silly then too, but I'm sure the guy will sell some of his new revolution in muzzleloading.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
Re: The cigarette lighter/flint mechanism is back
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 10:59:17 PM »
Talk about re-inventing the wheel.......lock!

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 06:45:09 AM »
I think I still have mine somewhere from the seventies.  It was worthless then and the new one is probably worthless now.  Part of the allure of primitive ignitions systems is making them work like the old guys did.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 07:12:46 AM »
Part of the allure of primitive ignitions systems is making them work like the old guys did.
volatpluvia

Absolutely!  Unfortunately there are many who simply look for the easiest way out to get their locks to ignite the priming charge... 

There are no short cuts.  Learn to use the flintlock and accept it for what it is.  Until one accepts the flintlock for what it is, they will never learn its in and outs and will never be confident enough to ever use one.

Just my opinion...  And I've got no use for this modern "hamburger helper" muzzle loading that seems to be flooding the market more and more every year.

D. Bowman

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 03:59:43 PM »
I first saw the cig lighter thing at the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show about 30 years ago. Back then they weren't legal in Pennsylvania's flintlock season because they were than considered a wheel lock by the Game Commission.
I'm with Candle Snuffer learn the ins and outs of a flinter it won't let you down.

D. Bowman

roundball

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 04:25:08 PM »
Same with the notion of using a synthetic 'duraflint'...if someone decides to take up the challenge of learning about a Flintlock, what's the point of turning right around and trying to modernize the ignition, which is basically the very heart of a Flintlock...a good sharp flint is hard to beat

voyageur1688

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 01:07:45 AM »
   I agree.
   I would not try to change any of my flinters. If I wantede some composite new fangled piece of junk, I would go out and buy an inline.(ewwwwww). I will stick with the old tried and true. As long as the earth is made of rocks, I can still get a flinter to fire-- try that with the newer guns.
  From what it sounds like I would say that "new improvement" is a waste of time and money as well as preying on some unknowing victims.
   Todd

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 03:48:22 AM »
Whatever sells, Todd - whatever sells. Such is free enterprise.  It's up to us to limit sales of junk - if we can.