Author Topic: final stock shaping  (Read 3811 times)

ken

final stock shaping
« on: November 15, 2013, 03:03:55 PM »
what is the best way to do final shaping of a stock? I have all the parts inletted and can not decide whather to start at lock panels and go back to the butt or go forward. Or to work from the butt to begin with. I am looking to find the best way to get the rifle to flow. Oh this is also a profile I have never worked with before a Verner. Thankful for any help  ken

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: final stock shaping
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 05:08:13 PM »
Blank or precarve?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 05:08:49 PM »
There is a lot of info in this thread that might be useful for you:  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=28585.0
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 06:48:51 PM »
There are several builders (Taylor Sapergia, Fred Lehto, Lucky RA for examples) here who know more about Bucks county guns and Verners in particular but you should be very clear about what you want before you start.  If you want an oval shaped wrist wider than high, or a round wrist with the bottom flattened, for example.  The long wrist of a Verner can continue to blend into the buttstock on the patchbox side with the roundness carrying back a ways.  Of course in all builds the buttplate defines a great deal of the architecture of the buttstock.  I establish my top (comb) and bottom (toe) lines carefully just leaving a tad for removal as everything needs cleaning up at the end.  Keep your pencil "center" lines intact.  Draw the toe lines and the comb lines on the top and bottom of the roughed buttstock. Then I shape the patchbox side of the buttstock to meet the toe and comb.  This may not be the right way to do it but I need to get the shape of that side right before tackling the cheek piece side.  Anyway on the PB side you want a flat for inletting the patchbox and everything to flow from the buttplate through the wrist, so I tend to work from the buttplate forward.  Getting the cheek piece right is a whole nother deal since you can't flow the whole thing forward from the buttplate.  That's why having the PB side done helps me visualize what I want "under" the cheek piece and then the cheek piece should flow down into that at the front, and rest above it at the rear.  Different story for a Berks county gun which will be more "pregnant" and bulge a little bit forward of the buttplate.

A lot of jabber.  Sometimes we go by feel and don't think about the steps.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 07:46:34 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 08:37:20 PM »
Ken....once the lock and side panels'  flat surfaces are left w/ just sanding stock and the lock and side panels are terminated on both ends , either direction could be worked.  I'm presently at that same point in the latest BC build and decided to finish the butt by making and installing the Pbox , carving the areas fore and aft of the cheekpiece and the other side of the wrist, finish shaping the cheek and continuing the carving from the comb to the breech. A lower butt molding is already roughed in as is the molding on both sides of the trigger guard.

The lower forestock is nearly finished as is the upper forend. An upper forend molding will be carved in  and terminated around the BC entry pipe.

Everything is inlet except the Pbox ,toeplate and Pbox release. This is the procedure I use...others might do it differently....good luck.....Fred
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 08:44:59 PM by flehto »

Offline BJH

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 11:18:30 PM »
The comb and toe should be as close to finish profile as possible. Plus a 1/16 does not hurt.  Be carefull to follow your center lines and cast off lay out.  I rough sculpt the whole but stock to approximately 1/4 in oversize from the butt plate to the rear of the lock panels. Then comes the fun, making it look like what you want.  After I'm happy with the butstock shaping then I start on the forend from the front of the lock panels forward. I don't install patch boxes till the gun is close to finished. But remember if your going to use a sliding wood patch box you need to shape the butstock with the patch box in mind so the necessary flat blends properly. BJH
BJH

ken

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 02:50:13 PM »
The stock was a precarved but with plenty of wood left to work with.  Thank you for the respondes. It seems clear to me that do my lock panels and then back to wrist and comb watching those transitions. Worry about forward after that. I get stuck sometimes in over thinking things thanks

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 04:20:07 PM »
Also remember that when you think you are done, you are not. I like to sit and just hold the gun, rolling it in the light and feeling for any small humps and hollows. Circle them with a pencil for further attention the next day. Do this several times. After finishing I STILL find things that I missed, but a lot of small blemishes can be removed that would otherwise be overlooked.