Author Topic: No Bridle locks  (Read 3749 times)

timM

No Bridle locks
« on: November 23, 2013, 03:59:50 AM »
Any of you guys have have high mileage un-bridled locks that still perform well?  I am curious to know how the frizzen pivot screw hold up under usage on no bridle locks.  In particular the Chambers "Early Ketland" is in my cross hairs for my next build.  I would appreciate any opinions and thanks in advance for any input.  tim

Offline smylee grouch

Re: No Bridle locks
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 06:27:32 AM »
I used that very lock on a smooth bore-over 1000 shots before I sold it and it seemed new when I sold it.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 02:42:33 PM »
I have one but it dont have but about 300 shots on it. I do know of one that has roughly 3000 on it and he tell me its still going very strong
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 03:12:02 PM »
I think it's really a matter of how many lifetimes you really need it to last. After one the point sis rather moot, given proper lube and care.  BJH
BJH

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
I have a Chambers Early Germanic lock with a bronze plate. The gun has been fired enough that the touch hole is starting to become enlarged enough that I may need to put in a liner. The lock is going strong and works perfectly. If you can shoot enough to wear one out, you are lucky !

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 04:58:17 PM »
On a bridleless lock,it would seem to me that the plate should be at LEAST.187
thick and the tumbler axle should fit to within .0005 and both plate and tumbler
hardened to about 60Rc for it to work and last any length of time.
I,ve never made one and no plans to do so but if I were,I'd use the formula above.
A frizzen pivot screw should have the smooth section of the shank in the lock plate
as far as possible.Three or four fine threads will hold it in place and make a fairly rigid
pivot point for the frizzen to turn on.

Bob Roller

timM

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 06:58:40 PM »
Gentlemen, thank you for taking the time to give feedback.  Your consensus on reliability lends confidence to me wanting to use that style of lock.  Cheers, tim