Author Topic: Graver size  (Read 2402 times)

Offline moleeyes36

Graver size
« on: December 26, 2015, 03:45:45 PM »
I'm considering getting started in learning how to do some basic engraving for my guns, nothing fancy at all.  I have questions on the graver size.  I see from previous threads here that some of you that do engraving use 3/32" gravers and some make them from 1/8" square tool bits.  Is there a performance advantage in using 1/8" over 3/32" gravers, other than being sturdier and less likely to break?  Thanks.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline T*O*F

Re: Graver size
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 04:04:27 PM »
All the pneumatic engravers use 3/32 inserts and everything is geared towards that size.
1/8" lathe bits are available for 1/4th the price, but in the same materials.

Breakage has nothing to do with size since it is only the very tip that cuts.  Smaller size allows for faster sharpening since anything other than the tip is just swarf.  Strength depends on the angles of the grind.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 05:16:06 PM »
Agree with T*O*F....

I've found that 90% of engraving is being able to sharpen, and re sharpen gravers.  I also have learned that doing this with a jig is soooo much easier than doing it "by eye", or with something home made.  Because of this experience, I tend to lean towards the 3/32", and use Lindsay templates to sharpen.  Obviously, there's cost involved, so you'd have to weigh that consideration.  Either size will work for what your wanting to do.  Just my two cents on the sharpening aspect.  Some people like the experience of sharpening "by eye", or with some sort of home made jig, and do very well with it.  I'm not one of those people, lol..., and found the templates to be far less aggravating. 

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 01:16:28 AM »
Thanks for the replies, they answered my question.  I figured to try the Lindsay templates as well.  I emailed Steve Lindsay some time ago and he said he could supply his 3/32' template modified for 1/8" gravers for an additional $20, so graver size isn't a problem.   The website lists the sharpener set including: sharpener with fixture and all four diamond bench stones (260, 600, 1200, 2000), and the Universal 116 degree V template at $225.  Something else to budget for I guess.  Thanks again for the information.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 04:38:24 AM »
If you use 1/8 square, there is more material to sharpen. This takes time. In my opinion, it's worth the extra money to get the 3/32 square because it fits all the systems if and when you want to upgrade.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.