Author Topic: stock blanks  (Read 5674 times)

Kenny

stock blanks
« on: December 04, 2013, 05:21:08 PM »
I have only ever used the suger maple for stocks. what is the concensus for red maple on a FL?

thanks

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
Re: stock blanks
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 05:30:27 PM »
I prefer sugar maple, denser, easier to carve at least in my experience.  I think you can find outstanding grain figure and stripe on red but especially for a project you plan to do extensive carving on, I prefer hard sugar maple.  IMHO

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 06:03:18 PM »
I've used and carved both....and both can be too soft. I'm on the last of 3 very hard red maple blanks from Dunlaps and they were a pleasure to work. Red maple many times will yield more curl and figure for the buck VS sugar maple ....Fred

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 06:09:02 PM »
I've only built one rifle with sugar maple and I found it softer than some of the red maple I worked. It seems to me that each has it's own hard and soft. Apparently either have a good relationship with your wood supplier, or select the wood personally. Either way I think you are taking a chance, they are all good and all bad. I've tried the fingernail test and that's not definitive. I would love to sample a bit of the wood with a chisel to determine if it is hard or softer.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 07:46:07 PM »
Heft the stock blanks and pick the heaviest.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 08:42:46 PM »

Good advise.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 08:52:15 PM »
I use red maple for most of my guns.   I feel that it is more appropriate on a plain southern gun.  However,  I used a cheap piece of red maple for the carved chunk gun I just finished and I think it turned out quite well.   The thing is that density will vary within all species.   You can certainly have a dense piece of red maple and a less dense piece of sugar maple.   That said,  for guns that I plan to be highly decorated, I get the best piece of stump cut, quarter sawn, sugar maple that I can.   

galamb

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 10:51:08 PM »
I only use Red Maple, and while I'm no means a "prolific builder" it works fine for my purposes.

I would however add, my source is domestic Canadian lumber and with our "tougher seasons" it may be denser than a tree from a more southern climate (??)

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 12:31:56 AM »
At Dixon's this year I did exactly as Rich suggested here:  I went around and picked up a lot of blanks from Dunlap, Tiger Hunt, and a few folks with extra stocks laying around.  I was amazed as I picked up many high-price sugar maple blanks and found them to be light as a feather and easily dented with my finger nail.  Many of the red maple blanks were just as light, but others were quite heavy and dense.  I didn't find any that blew me away, but I bought a "second" (with a small knot in the toe) that is one of the heaviest pieces of maple I've ever held - it's red maple with some very pretty figure. 

I've also built projects out of Norway Maple and Sycamore maple (different from true Sycamore)- they grow like weeds on the coast of New England and occasionally reach substantial size.  Density varied on those too, comparable to red maple. 

If you're ordering sight unseen, ask them to pick a heavy one. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 01:01:49 AM »

That's assuming the stock blanks are of equal volume. 

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 01:37:20 AM »
How do you tell the difference between the different Maples offered as gun stock wood? I was told by a very well known kit maker that they could not tell the difference.

K
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 01:41:43 AM by Ken Prather »
Galations 2:20

galamb

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 02:16:10 AM »
Check the label on the rack at the wood shop :)

Not trying to be smart with that one, but I really get what you are asking.

Hard (Sugar) Maple has a (mean) density of about 44 lbs/cubic foot - soft (Red) about 38 lbs/cuft - but with a 10% allowable variance that gives you ranges of 39-48 (hard) and 34-42 (Red) - not conclusive if you measure weight.

You can usually dent Red with a finger nail, but you can sometimes dent Sugar.

Sugar normally has tighter rings - but again that depends on where it was grown.

Red sometimes has darker streaks and an overall darker appearance - (sometimes but not always).

Which leads me back to my first comment...

Kenny

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 02:53:42 AM »
thanks guys, as always I`ve gotten a lot of excellent advice from here, . I think I`m going to try red maple.

galamb

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 03:12:52 AM »
I will just add on more piece of "trivia" - I also build wooden boats so you end up with some obscure information.

There is a test called the Janka hardness test - old method to test hardwood.

On it's scale Red Maple comes in at about 950, Walnut at about 1000 and Sugar Maple at 1400'ish.

It's measured by seeing how many foot pounds of energy it takes to imbed a .444" steel ball half way into a given piece of wood. The results above are the foot pounds required (typically).

Hmmm - if you were willing to load a steel ball in a 45 cal maybe you could try a home test :)

The conclusion I draw from the numbers is - not many would question Walnut's "suitability" at least from a "strength" point of view - even on the most powerful centerifires. Red Maple is certainly in the "same league"..

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 08:23:29 AM »
Wayne Dunlap told me that he has a difficult time separating red from sugar maple once its cut. Since he charges more for sugar maple he only provides sugar maple blanks that he has been able to trace back to a known sugar maple tree. If you buy red maple blanks from him you may get a sugar maple blank but if you pay for a sugar maple blank it will be sugar maple.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta