Author Topic: Putting a bead on a front sight  (Read 8343 times)

docone

Putting a bead on a front sight
« on: October 31, 2012, 08:09:10 PM »
I went to look through my sights today, and my front sight had disappeared! I can see the blur, but not the sight.
Is there a way to thicken this sight?
I know they used to move the rear sight forward, but can I solder some perhaps 16, or 14 guage wire to the top of it?
Any input?

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Re: Putting a bead on a front sight
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 10:35:58 PM »
Try a thicker blade. I usually use .08 for blade thickness.

Harnic

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 12:36:35 AM »
I went to look through my sights today, and my front sight had disappeared! I can see the blur, but not the sight.
Is there a way to thicken this sight?
I know they used to move the rear sight forward, but can I solder some perhaps 16, or 14 guage wire to the top of it?
Any input?

I've had the same problem for years docone, my solution was to solder a small ball bearing in a notch on the back top edge of the front sight.  I find it works well for my eyes.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 08:20:20 PM by Harnic »

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 01:15:38 AM »
I like beads as well, with wide V rear sights.  Sighted so the ball hits the center of the bead at 25 yards, usually puts it on at 50yards as well, up to 1/2" high at that range.

docone

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 05:31:43 AM »
I got some ideas from that.
I will probably go into my shop this weekend and I will silver solder some brass that I melt into a ball onto the front sight. The blade is German Silver. I can then file it to shape.
All I need is a wider spot. I have buck horns and the top of the sight is level with the bottom of the buck horns.
I got room to play.
Getting old has its advantages, but, not in this case.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
Getting old is not the problem....................it's the parts that quit working that bothers me the most.
Eyesight, hearing, memory, agility, if we could only take a pill!!!
Old Ford

PS. Maybe  a traditional "LAZER LIGHT" would work??
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Fred

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 02:12:48 PM »
I've had so much eye surgery, I can't see anything but fiber optic. But i.m still shooting.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 05:33:04 PM »

Length of brass rod soldered to a very low, angled blade base, then filed to a tapered profile.

Length of brass rod soldered to higher blade and filed to a tapered profile.

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 04:32:54 PM »
I have a 45 degree flat filed on the back of my front sight, like Daryl's solution. It is undercut so I don't get reflection from below it.

Harnic, do you get any point of impact changes from varying light direction? I'm thinking that with a spherical shape on the front sight you'd get minor changes in the location of the brightest reflection. Or is the whole thing too small in MOA to matter?

Harnic

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 06:29:55 PM »
Harnic, do you get any point of impact changes from varying light direction? I'm thinking that with a spherical shape on the front sight you'd get minor changes in the location of the brightest reflection. Or is the whole thing too small in MOA to matter?

Well, I suppose I'm not "sophisticated" enough to notice the changes under differing light intensities Rex.  Shooting offhand I'm quite content to hit a 6" bull at 50 yards, a feat I often manage regardless of light.  ;)

northmn

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 08:16:20 PM »
I have used Daryl's system for some time now.  I just make my sights out of a peice of sheet brass, double it over and then solder the base and file form it to fit the dove tails.  File the bead into the top.  I can make one pretty quick that way.

DP

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 04:31:35 PM »
Ok, Harnic, I'll interpret that as "too small in MOA to matter." My friend Steve talks about "sight-itis": obsessing over and fiddling with the sights when he should just get out and practice more. (raises hand, hangs head) I plead guilty.

Harnic

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 06:36:38 PM »
Ok, Harnic, I'll interpret that as "too small in MOA to matter." My friend Steve talks about "sight-itis": obsessing over and fiddling with the sights when he should just get out and practice more. (raises hand, hangs head) I plead guilty.

Your friend Steve is a wise man Rex!  I too am guilty of not enough practice.  :-[ In my defence I did shatter my collarbone badly last May & couldn't support the weight of my 58 cal fullstock flint Hawken until just the past couple weeks.  The problem is, there always seems to be an excuse!  Busted collarbone, cancer, sheesh!  When do I get a break?!   ;D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 09:23:18 PM by Harnic »

Vomitus

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 10:29:47 PM »
  Farsightedness is my problem but on my most recent,(new to you Harry), a 54 longrifle. The back sight is relatively a wide rectangular opening and it has a thin blade for the front. The blade centers just wonderful in the fuzz of the rear. Haven't benched it yet,but hoping Daryls will volunteer,lol! It slaps gongs out to 109 yards,even the 95 yard life size bunny. In some light, I need to blacken the front blade. Still just having fun with 'er! Cheers

Harnic

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 10:51:39 PM »
Hey!  Not fair LB!  Post a pic of the new artillery piece!  Sounds cool!!!

Vomitus

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 12:45:57 AM »
PM sent.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 07:13:44 PM »
I blobbed some soft solder onto my front to get some sort of bead on the blade quickly.  Considered dipping the blade into the lead pot. 

Now that i know the height is nearly right, i should measure and attach a full wire-bead. 

Either way i do it, I do Love the English Express Sight.  Been reading of and wanting to try 'em for years.  Quite pleased so far.  Really tedious filing out the rear (but it works).  I converted a wide semi-buckhorn.
Hold to the Wind

Online dieselmech570

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 03:24:30 AM »
I had the same problem, had a ML builder friend of mine ask me if I still had my wedding ring from when I was married. He silver soldered a chunk of it in a notch he filed in the front sight. It is wider than the original blade, and shows up great!

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 08:32:24 AM »
I had the same problem, had a ML builder friend of mine ask me if I still had my wedding ring from when I was married. He silver soldered a chunk of it in a notch he filed in the front sight. It is wider than the original blade, and shows up great!
funny...i applied for a diesel mechanic position this morning...but my former wedding band is titanium.  :-\
Hold to the Wind