Author Topic: Smugglers Notch Primitive Biathlon  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Canute Rex

Smugglers Notch Primitive Biathlon
« on: January 27, 2014, 09:13:37 PM »
Sorry, no photos, but I just wanted to report on the SNPB. It was held last weekend in Jeffersonville, VT for the 19th consecutive year.

There were about 190 participants over two days. It is a 2-mile course through the woods, uphill and down. There are four shooting stations with various sized steel gongs. Competitors fire two shots at each of the first three and three at the last. Your run (or in my case, slog) is timed and each hit takes 5 minutes off. The best competitors can get down near zero time this way.

The weather was snowy and in the 20s on Saturday and sunny and around zero F on Sunday. I went on Sunday expecting to suffer, but between the sun, near zero wind, and heavy layering I did fine. That is, I survived thermally. My speed was slow and my shooting was...meh. One of my snowshoe bindings kept loosening and I managed to let my scorecard drop in between two shooting stations. Had to run back and get it. I ended up about 50th in the rankings.

They have made the shooting more difficult in the last couple of years. It used to be that I'd see a few 9 out of 9 scores, but this year there was one 8 and half a dozen 7s out of 190 shooters. The last target station had vertical bars maybe 2" wide out at 50 yards or so. My front sight was wider than the target so it was a crapshoot for me and I blew those. The challenge is to manage a good hold and follow through when your heart rate is pushing 200.

A great time out in the woods and some fun shooting with friendly people. For those of you in the northeast I'd recommend the Southern Vermont Primitive Biathlon coming up in February in Manchester VT, as well as one in Dalton NH and one in St. Johnsbury VT. Here's a link to schedules and information:

http://www.primitivebiathlon.com/Calendar.htm

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
Re: Smugglers Notch Primitive Biathlon
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 04:57:22 AM »
I have watched some videos on these Primitive Biathlons and they look like they'd be fun to take part in, though I doubt I'll ever get the chance to do so.  But if the opportunity ever did come along, I'd sure go enjoy giving it a try.  For fun of course.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

ratfacedmcdougal

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 01:45:27 AM »
I was there on Sat. Glad the weather was decent. Finished 124th I think. Learned a few things to cut some time off. My snowshoe came harnessed and I bent over to fix it, balls dropped out of my bag, didn't notice that for about 100 yds. Went back and started looking for them. They were loose and buried in snow. I finally found them and started off again. At the first station I saw that most were using paper cartridges and loading blocks. I was measuring and loading patch and ball. Then at the second station the range master was an old friend I hadn't seen in 30 years (I'm originally from Jeffersonville) that cost a couple minutes, then again at station 3 another old friend I hadn't seen in 30 years. My shooting was good but the last station really hurt me. Missed all three. Seconds really count in this event. I didn't trot or hurry I just tried to walk my normal pace. I wish I could do it again this weekend. Great fun, many shooters.
  RFMcD

deertracker

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 01:50:00 AM »
I was also able to attend the biathlon on sunday, and as usual, had a great time. I don't think I know of another shoot in the Northeast that predictably, and reliably draws 200 plus shooters. I would encourage anyone who enjoys wood's walks to try a primitive biathlon. Great fun!

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 06:03:00 PM »
Don't feel bad about the last three, Ratface. I think most people missed them. I don't worry about my time so much. There are "gazelles" who come loping along the trail with eight foot strides and I know I'll never match them. I hum a little marching tune to keep my legs on autopilot. I'm competing against my last score.

I do recommend premeasuring your powder into paper cartridges and using a loading block. Aside from everything else it makes it easier to handle stuff in the cold.

I'll be in Manchester VT for the Southern VT Primitive Biathlon on Sunday the 9th. Hope to see you there. My friend Steve and I may run (as in "walk") the course with our matchlocks. They also have the King of the Hill, Five Card Draw, and Absolute Marksman competitions going.

Gotta go cast some ball.

ratfacedmcdougal

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 01:30:02 AM »
I would love to get to the Southern Vt event one of these years. By coincidence Manchester is my lovely wife's hometown. We've got both events covered for going home to visit and to shoot. Good point about trying to beat your own previous score. I'm no athlete by anyone's estimation. Now that I've been in one the next will go a lot better. Wish one would get organized here in Maine. Sure was fun to hear all the shooting and to see so much interest in the sport.
 RFMcD