Author Topic: vinager stain again  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Duane Harshaw

vinager stain again
« on: December 02, 2013, 04:44:45 AM »
I made up a batch of this vinagaroon using very old barbed wire,the problem is that this stuff is so black that light will not  pass through it.I have filtered it 3 times through an old T shirt.is it going to any good..
Coaldale Alberta Canada

Offline Paddlefoot

Re: vinager stain again
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 08:44:49 AM »
It changes over time. Pour some off into another jar and add some vinegar to it. Let them both sit a while and continue to test on scraps for the color. The color of the liquid is not what you will get on wood.  There is a bunch of info on here if you search. Good luck and be patient.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: vinager stain again
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 07:51:32 PM »
instead of straining, try letting it settle and scooping some clear liquid from just under the surface.  You might have to skim off some scum.  One of my batches keeps a foamy scum on top, the other-not so much.  But now they're producing the same color--about 2 months in.  It' takes at least 3 weeks to get any good color in my very limited experience. 

Just leave the precipitate on the bottom. 

And it takes a few hours/overnight for color to really show in my wood.
Hold to the Wind