Author Topic: Somerset/Bedford /chambersburg Rifles  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Tim Ault

Somerset/Bedford /chambersburg Rifles
« on: December 20, 2013, 10:17:33 PM »
Hello all well I and planning out my next winter rifle and have it narrowed down to either a southern type or as title states something that was once made close to where I live now , one county away but close enough . I really like the looks of these  south central/western Pa rifles and have looked through the online pics on the site at all the ones shown . I have a few questions on the details of the style thought . My plans are going to be a flint rifle in 36 cal. And I know most of the originals shown were cap locks except for the one Peter white rifle  .  To start with Which flintlockim guessing late ketland are there others that would be suited for a rifle like this? Secondly were the barrels generally smaller straight oct. Rather than swamped? Something like. 13/16 or 3/4 be apprioate   Just don't want something real nose heavy in a small caliber like the 36 that I'm wanting .   

Thanks ,Tim

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Somerset/Bedford /chambersburg Rifles
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 11:10:27 PM »
Tim
You're covering  a lot of ground with your selections.I think it would be easier for you and allow us to better answer your question if you picked out a more specific place/ maker and time period.What would work in Bedford in say 1820 would be far different than what would work in Chambersburg in the same period.

Mitch Yates

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 12:11:58 AM »
True it does , But to my untrained and unknowing mind  and eye many of them have the style/shape/look Im going for. Im sure there are many different things that make them different  , In a general nutshell  This is sorta what Im shooting for http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=8196.0  I like the looks and overall lines Of this rifle Although mine will be a plainer version It states That White also moved To Uniontown in Fayette Co. where I am now .  Another Is this one http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=27873.0  
    Im not trying to carbon copy either but rather like and want the lines and shape of them.  Like I stated Im not versed enough to know what dates Im after just some help and guidance as to what would  probably have been used as far as components ie lock ,barrel size ect  Hope this makes some kinda sense to all of you that know more than I.

Tim
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 12:13:16 AM by Tim Ault »

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 12:23:25 AM »
Tim
That makes it easier.If you're shooting for the Peter White I would use a Chambers Late Ketland lock and change it's shape the way I've done here.

For a barrel I would go with one with very little taper and flair.like a Getz "standard lite" or a Rice " southern classic",unless you are going to spring for a custom.

Mitch Yates

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 01:38:49 AM »
There's a flint Peter White in the Whisker/Yantz Bedford book that has a more typical Bedford rattail lock, althoug the tail is shortened. 

Go with the 13/16 straight barrel, it's appropriate and you won't be dissapointed.   ;)
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 06:51:29 AM »
There's a flint Peter White in the Whisker/Yantz Bedford book that has a more typical Bedford rattail lock, althoug the tail is shortened. 

Go with the 13/16 straight barrel, it's appropriate and you won't be dissapointed.   ;)

Thank You gentlemen, Ill be looking online for some  Pics of other P. White rifles to study.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 06:52:47 PM »
Tim
I have what is probably an original Somerset Rifle by J Lynch(unlocated).I can email pics if you're interested.

Mitch Yates

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 11:53:34 PM »
Tim
I have what is probably an original Somerset Rifle by J Lynch(unlocated).I can email pics if you're interested.

Mitch Yates

That would be outstanding ! Thank you Sir, please send to ault39@zoominternet.net   Thanks again