Author Topic: tow mink oil patch lube  (Read 15376 times)

Gruxxx

Re: tow mink oil patch lube
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 06:37:07 PM »
I like the idea of using TOW's natural mink oil, but when I've tried it, my patches come out burned to shreds.  This is with a .45 rifle and .62 smoothie, with 0.015 and .018 patches, and only light to moderate loads.  I don't know what loads others are using to have better results.   ???

Plain spit works fine on the range, but isn't something you want to lube your patches with for hunting.

I play around with various Moose Milk concoctions, containing Murphy's Oil Soap and alcohol.  It also protects patches fairly well, and is fantastic at keeping a bore clean, especially if you don't swab between shots.  It's runny though, so like spit, I only consider it a range lube.

The yellow Wonder Lube in the pre-lubed patches does a great job at protecting patches, but it creates a terrible tar-like glaze inside a barrel.  It's aweful stuff that fouls a barrel and takes forever to clean out at home.  It's worse in cold weather.  The same goes for Bore Butter.  (It seems to the be the same thing.)  Both stink to high Heaven, too.

My go-to, all-around favorite lube is Young Country's Lube 103.  It's a nontoxic lube that has a consistency a little thinner than Chap Stick.  (Somewhere online, I read that it actually is Chap Stick, with something else added.)  When I bought it years ago, the store owner took a dab and rubbed it on his lips.  In any case, it protects patches well and minimizes fouling, and does well across all temperatures, if only a bit viscous in cold weather.  It doesn't cake or glaze in a barrel and it doesn't have an offensive odor.  It's also a good barrel protectant for short term storage through hunting season.  I use Break Free gun oil for long term storage, but prefer Lube 103 during the hunting season, so I don't need to worry about removing oil in the breech when I reload on my next trip.  I think it's odd that I never see it mentioned.  It's not a glamorous lube, like Mink Oil or Moose Milk, but it sure is good stuff.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 07:01:05 PM »
I have used Track's Mink Oil , mainly for hunting , and have not had a problem with it.  I have a couple of tins in the shop, but over the last couple of years have used bear oil instead.  I have lots of it and it works extremely well. I try to emulate historical usage, and that usually means not purchasing stuff if I can help it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 09:54:13 PM »
I like the idea of using TOW's natural mink oil, but when I've tried it, my patches come out burned to shreds.  This is with a .45 rifle and .62 smoothie, with 0.015 and .018 patches, and only light to moderate loads.  I don't know what loads others are using to have better results.   ???

The only time I've had burnt patches is when I've used too thin a patch.  With what I consider a proper patch, I have NEVER had a burnt or cut patch.

My muzzle crowns allow the lead to flow together with the patch to the bottom of the groove for a perfect seal - it is impossible for the patch to burn.

With an insufficient lube (dry) the patch might scorch where it wraps around the bottom of the ball - ie: be light brown in colour, but that is it.

Any time the patch burns, it is either cutting at the muzzle (too sharp a crown) & thus allowing gasses to blast past in the cut to burn the patch - or the patch is too thin and not sealing and thus is allowing hot gasses to blast past the patched ball - thus burning the patch.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Kalhoon

• Starting Member
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 06:01:27 PM »
I have used mink oil in very cold weather, works great loads easy. I hope they dont change it

steeler61065

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 06:21:16 PM »
I also use TOW mink oil. The 2 tins I have are both yellow in color. Guess I didn't know any different

Offline Kermit

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 03:40:10 AM »
When I press a ball into a patch in my loading block, I smear the mink oil, which is more like a grease than an oil, over the bottom of the patched ball, so that when I introduce it into the muzzle, there is LOTS of the grease to lubricate the patch going down the bore.

Now that's a useful tip, Taylor. I'm going to give that a try with my flint .25.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West