Author Topic: Which dvd on long rifle carving?  (Read 4143 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Which dvd on long rifle carving?
« on: December 18, 2013, 10:33:03 PM »
There are three DVDs I know of on carving longrifles. One by wallice Guslar. one by Jack Brooks and one by Homer Dangler.

1.Which one would you recommend?

2:Are there any other DVDs on this subject?

3.Is there a store where I can buy all three videos? If I can get all three at the same store, I'd save 50$ in shipping.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Kevin Houlihan

Re: Which dvd on long rifle carving?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 03:12:42 AM »
Rolf,
  I don't know if there is one store where you can purchase all 3.  However, along with the 3 that you mentioned, American Pioneer Video has a Pistol building video with Mike Miller that covers carving to some degree also.  Homer Dangler uses a V tool to outline the carving, Wallace Gusler and Jack Brooks use gouges to stab in the carving and Mike Miller uses a knife to outline.   So all 4 videos treat carving a little differently.  Jack Brooks also covers incised carving.  They are all good videos and a person could learn a different approach from each one.
Good luck,
Kevin 

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 05:04:58 AM »
I would add that you get a lot of historical information about the use of Gouges in Traditional Carving Techniqes from the Wallace Gussler DVD. If I had to chose only one, it would be the Gussler DVD. John Bivins wrote a great two part article on Releif Carving in Rifle Magazine many years ago. I have copied it for many students.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 04:44:42 PM »
Rolf
Maybe I'm a little biased since I studied carving with Wallace but I would go with Wallace's video.He is an excellent teacher!!

Mitch Yates
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:44:54 PM by aka tallbear »

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 03:10:34 AM »
I can second Tallbears recommendation on Wallace Gusslers carving a Kentucky rifle. He has several originals that he uses to show the style of the original carving of some southern rifles from Virgina.  I have not seen the others mentioned here but I own a copy of the carving as well as the engraving done by  Wallace. They were money well spent.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 03:14:36 AM »
Plus  you should be able to sing a colonial ballad about "Barbara Ellen" if you watch it as much as I have.  ;D
Dave Blaisdell

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 04:37:27 PM »
It wouldn't hurt to get all of them if your budget permits. I've found that there are many approaches to the similar end result in this craft. You know the old saying, "different strokes....."

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 05:35:08 AM »
I have enjoyed the music really much while watching the video.  My wife can't stand that song though.  She just couldn't understand why I would watch it so often. 
I gave it to a friend.  I wish I had it now.  I would get up after she went to bed and sneak down and watch it, again, if I had it.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.