Author Topic: Ramrod hole too large  (Read 5413 times)

Offline whitebear

Ramrod hole too large
« on: December 21, 2013, 07:30:12 AM »
Thirty years ago (when I knew everything) I had barrel channel and ramrod grove cut into a maple blank, 15/16 barrel and 7/16 ramrod grove.  Now that I have the time to devote to this project and hopefully do a good job I realize that for an early Lancaster this is too large a RR grove.  I think that I can take care of the exposed grove but what to do about the drilled hole?  I had thought of inletting a 3/8 entry thimble and then gluing a 7/16 rod in the hole and re drilling for 3/8 ramrod. 

How would you do it?
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Ramrod hole too large
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 07:54:39 AM »
What is the problem with a 7/16 hole? Will the rr hole break thru if you slim the forestock down? 
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 10:18:32 AM »
Won't a 7/16 rod make the fore end look too bulky?  This is a rifle that I have always wanted to build and I want it to be the absolute best that I am capable of doing.  Not that I don't try to make all the guns I build as good as possible this one just has a special place.
In the beginning God...

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 04:55:18 PM »
Just because you have a 7/16th hole doesn't mean you need to use a 7/16th rod .

Offline alex e.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 05:23:02 PM »
Yes, what  Bob said.Use  3/8 pipes and RR,You should be fine.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 07:09:46 PM »
Bulk will be determined by the web between the rr hole and the barrel, and the hole diam.

If you are concerned about bulk, because your web is 5/16" or 1/4", you can inlet the barrel deeper to reduce the web thickness.

If the lock inlet has already been done, you have to see if lowering the barrel is possible.

Offline little joe

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 07:19:28 PM »
I have built many this way. I use a 7/16 foreward and a 3/8 entry and modify a 3/8 middle to .400. The brass thembles from TOW that have the rolled ribs on them work best. Take a 3/8, split the tab spot weld with a chisel, then anneal and open it up and use a .400 bit shank for a mandrel. works fine for me Makes for a nice sturdy RR whith a nice taper.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »

My advice is to go ahead and build the rifle.  I built a Lancaster rifle about 30 years ago and thought a 7/16" ramrod was what the .62 cal barrel required.  Yes, the lower forestock is a little beefy, but it looks fine, and the big rod ensures fearless loading.  I don't remember the web thickness on this rifle but it was likely in the 3/16" range.

It seemed like the way to go, as I'd been building mostly Hawken rifles, so this rifle is quite robust - kind of like a JJ Henry.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 08:57:33 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 02:02:24 AM »
I agree with Taylor,i have broke a few 3/8 rods in the woods and on range,but NEVER a 7/16 rod,definatly made for Fearless use.Like Taylor,I like Hawken rifles,but build long slim ones too.I tend to like serviceability.I am currently building a half stock plains style using a precarve with a 1" barrel and 7/16 rod.As I had to buy a barrel,I got a 54 cal,and the ramrod is great for this.If ya want to use the 7/16 rod,get a large bore unless you want a squirrel gun,tho if you hunt squirrel in Georgia,that big 54 might be of benefit.Sometimes ya have to shoot a small limb ofn them pecan trees to get ol squirrely.lol,happy building.Dave

Birddog6

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 05:28:40 PM »
I would use 3/8" pipes on it.  Nobody but you (well on here now) knows the hole in the stock is 7/16".  The hole in the stock doesn't matter as long as it is large enough dia. to let the RR in, unless a larger dia.  gets into the lock or the barrel.   As for the web between the barrel & the RR, you work that down several ways, if that is more than you like.

Keith Lisle
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 05:29:51 PM by D. Keith Lisle »

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 07:07:41 PM »
I find a 7/16ths ramrod far preferable to a 3/8ths rod.  Most of my serious shooting friends do too.

This rifle has a 54 caliber barrel and a 7/16ths rod.

No one has ever said it looks too fat! 

A 7/16ths ramrod has a cross-sectional area that is about 50% greater than its 3/8ths little brother, making it much harder to break.  If you are building the rifle to shoot you will be glad you have that thicker rod every time you seat a load.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 09:20:16 PM »
Has anyone said the horizontal stripes make your gun look fat?

Offline whitebear

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 09:51:23 PM »
Thanks for all the good advice and information on this subject and all others that I have posted throughout the year.  I can depend on someone here slapping me up 'side the head and getting my thinking straight again  I hope that I have been a help to someone this past year, if not then I will try harder next year.

To all of you and your dear families I would like to take this opportunity to wish you a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR

O' yeah watch for the reindeer you know we lost Grand Ma several years ago when she got run over by the reindeer.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:45:16 PM by Acer Saccharum »
In the beginning God...