Author Topic: Old knife-origin?  (Read 6729 times)

Offline cmac

Old knife-origin?
« on: December 24, 2013, 05:02:24 AM »

The knife and large sheath my dad purchased in England 40+ years ago, and the small sheath my grandfather got for me locally for Christmas. The knife has an ivory handle, silver trim/scabbard with horn inside it. The engraving on this one is very fine! The smaller (also silver) has larger engraving, and has the year 1877 scratched into the back,as well as initials?TOS

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
Re: Old knife-origin?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 05:19:15 AM »
Scandinavian design and styling...is there a name engraved into the blade anywhere? Often there is...the northern Scottish islands were part of Norway early on...so I expect the exact point of origin could be hard to pin down exactly if its not signed?   
tc
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 05:24:17 AM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 05:30:54 AM »
Obviously Scandinavian. Finnish, Danish, Norwegian..... Could be any of the three. Looks like the name on the side could be Lund?
Happens to be my last name. Danish. Doesn't mean it couldn't be Finn.
Can't remember the name of that type of knife off the top of my head, but they're still available today. Usually a fine quality steel.  Good knives.
Just checked, and the listing, the present day knives are called Mora knives, made in Sweden, have been in business since 1891. But the style has been around for much longer
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 05:36:41 AM by smallpatch »
In His grip,

Dane

Offline cmac

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 06:36:01 AM »
Yes the name is P. Lund. It is a great blade-holds an edge. It is bent to the right a good bit. On purpose I don't know. It has a thick blade and isn't a soft steel so I doubt it was bent after it was made.
   My plan is to make a knife similar to my father's and the interior of scabbard as well. Mine may not be ivory though!

Offline Artificer

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 03:11:23 PM »
Were square tang nuts with crenellations for a spanner turnscrew or small spanner wrench common on these knives?   The reason I ask is because I have seen something similar on Scottish Dirks.

Gus

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 04:53:32 PM »
Ivory makes me think elephant ivory......not thinking so. Whale, walrus ivory more likely.

Present day laminated blades are amazing.  These people have been making blades for thousands of years.
Remember, they came to America before Columbus!!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 04:56:39 PM by smallpatch »
In His grip,

Dane

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 05:10:54 PM »
Artificer...good question about the pommel nut...I was wondering the same thing.
I dont recall seeing that feature on puukka or mora styled knives ... but on dirks, yes.
tc
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:55:55 PM by T.C.Albert »

Offline cmac

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 07:36:50 PM »
I would agree on the ivory and origin. I found a few similar Scandanavian knives doing a google search. None had ivory. They had either antler or wood handles. Should make for a good project! Thanks for the info guys and Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 01:08:08 AM »
I have a couple of these knives.   They are intended for carving/whittling and are quite sturdy.   You can get them quite cheaply  and regrind them as you wish.   I have one with a short blade that I have all but the tip ground flat so that I can used it to cut in mouldings.   You just kind of rock it along.   

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 04:49:27 PM »
Sloyd knives do have a similar design...and even a book written back in the day about how their use can teach the student craftsmanship...but Im not sure this example was a typlcal Sloyd?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloyd
tca
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 04:51:40 PM by T.C.Albert »

Offline Artificer

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 09:25:29 PM »
The amount of pith you can see from the rear end makes me wonder if the handle is walrus ivory or even filed down antler?
Gus