Author Topic: Copy of a N.C. Horn  (Read 2479 times)

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Copy of a N.C. Horn
« on: January 02, 2014, 01:04:08 AM »
This horn is a North Carolina Horn attributed to Randolph County. It is a copy of the bottom horn on page 285 of Ivey's book, North Carolina Schools of Longrifles. 1765-1865.
I had a horn that was a fair match for this (although I don't think it has quite as much curve as the original) and was quite thin. It is fairly transparent and I wasn't going to have material to do much carving on the throat. Pam likes horns that are not stained or dyed so this one was kind of down her alley so to speak. It was quite quick to do although I had to reshape the butt a couple of times to get it to look right. The tip has some pith in it but so did the original. I think the butt is a little large in diameter as the spacing between the tacks is a little more on mine than the original. Overall I think it came out fairly well.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Copy of a N.C. Horn
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 05:02:29 AM »
Looks good Steve :)
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

TradT

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 05:23:33 AM »
Beautiful looking horn! Congrats.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 09:19:51 PM »
 Nice looking horn Steve well done, I recognized it right off. It is also in Michael Briggs'
Piedmont North Carolina Banded Power Horns Hunting Bags & Bullet Molds

Tim C.