Author Topic: Made meat with .62  (Read 7422 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Made meat with .62
« on: December 29, 2013, 04:47:02 PM »
My first chance at deer hunting this year came yesterday. Late season doe hunt. Work usually gets in the way. I also  usually avoid the regular gun season. It is usually pretty crowded with cousins and friends with lots of high tech gear, tree stands, automatic feeders, trail cameras and the like. They are way too serious for me and they get offended if  you invade their space. I like to still hunt and cover some ground so I prefer the less crowded seasons. I'm not as successful as these guys and don't claim to be any great hunter. I don't care much about horns (except to make knife handles out of), but love venison. I made it out to the family farm and realized it had been way too long since I had been afield. This is what is left of what we believe was an original Rev. War land grant. My paternal grandmother was born here in a cabin that dates to 18__?  My first cousin owns it now.
Great day. Moccasin clad feet crunched in the early morning frost and really enjoyed all the sights smells and sounds. I scared up a couple of deer without getting a shot. Lunched on some venison jerky, a crust of bread and an apple. Had a little nap in the warm afternoon sunshine, and travelled on.
Late afternoon I found myself entertained by a troupe of grey squirrels  when a deer appeared feeding up the creek bed.  She presented a good broadside shot at about 80 yards. A very large and healthy (and heavy) doe. She had to be very strong to run half a mile with a .62 hole through both lights. After the long drag out of the "long" hollow to the edge of the first field I asked her why she couldn't have appeared nearer the car. I walked down to get the Explorer and within 75 yards of  where it was parked another big doe trotted out in the field right in front of me at about 60 yards and stood taunting me. Just for fun I went ahead and went through the motions of priming the pan (without really putting any powder in) and sighting the rifle at her. There was enough light on the silver blade to draw a good bead on her and I could of easily made the shot!
I realized almost everything I had with me in the woods today was homemade from the rifle, pouch, horn, knife and all my clothes to the elk hide moccasins. 
Well it may be a lean winter, but at least there is some venison to put in the freezer.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline whitebear

Re: Made meat with .62
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 05:07:28 PM »
Congratulations on a great day in the woods.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 05:48:58 PM »
Days like that are worth remembrering, more so than one where you get the big buck with his face stuck in a pile of bait. Hope you have many more.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 05:54:38 PM »
Days like that are worth remembrering, more so than one where you get the big buck with his face stuck in a pile of bait. Hope you have many more.

How very true indeed.
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 06:14:35 PM »
Congratulations.  That is the way I like to hunt.
 Was you using a smooth bore or a rifled gun. 
iloco

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 08:50:33 PM »
Congrats on a fine day. Now thats livin ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 09:06:11 PM »
Rifled bore, Colerain oct./rd. Really was a good day. The older I get the more I learn the value of quality against quantity. My mouth is watering for some bacon wrapped grilled tenderloin.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

C. Cash

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 10:08:52 PM »
Congrats!

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 10:43:36 PM »
Congratulations on a fine hunt.  This has been (so far) the worst season I can ever recall.  No squirrels at all when I've always been covered with them, before.  And with the exception of two far away glimpses of a deer, I've seen nothing within range or offering a shot!  Did see bear tracks twice but no bear or turkey.

What is so annoying is that one  farm I hunt on is also hunted by the owner's son.  Now that's no problem in itself.  but this kid has killed several deer and a turkey there where I've seen NOTHING!  One of his deer was a massive buck!  Aaarrgh.....! :'(
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 12:30:14 AM »
I used to hunt with my brother in law. He was the luckiest guy I ever hunted with. I used to tease him that he could fall out of the truck and his gun go off and kill the biggest buck in the county.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

TradT

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 01:52:42 AM »
Congratulations and great story!

blaksmth

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 03:37:22 AM »
David R, what kind of load was you shooting? and my next question is are white tail deer that tough, to take a ball and not drop? I have never hunted them, so I hope you will take this as a serious question.

I Did shoot a Cow elk once with my .69cal ball with 125 gr FF at 80 or so yards a side shot and she didn't drop either for a while.

I wondered if maybe  most of the energy from that big ball was wasted by going clear through her  ???

I love to hear and read about a good hunting story Congradulations

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 04:48:30 AM »
I'm only shooting 85 grains 2F with patched round ball. I use the same measure I use for my .50. Level full it throws 75 grains and I heap it up for the .62 and it throws 85 grains. I really haven't worked on heavier loads with this rifle yet as it seems to do pretty good and I don't notice any recoil. I don't know how she ran that far, except for the fact that she was a really strong healthy looking mature doe. The second largest doe I ever shot. I held just a little high on her as I misjudged the distance just a little in the failing light. The ball struck exactly where I aimed it though. It passed directly through both lungs. I reloaded and went to where she was standing and found hair and frothy blood. I didn't have much daylight left so I began tracking right away.  I shot another very large doe a few years ago with lung shot with a bow and it didn't travel more than 25 yards. I haven't seen one with that much fat on it for a while. There was a good 1/2" layer on her back with lots of it inside body cavity too. Does that mean its going to be a hard winter? The hide is salted and she is quartered and in the big chest freezer set just above freezing. A lot of good steaks!
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

blaksmth

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 07:09:40 AM »
It will definitely be good eating, our mule deer get kinda strong tasting.  I HAVE NEVER KILLED A WHITE TAIL , BUT I HAVE ATE THEM AND BOY ARE THEY GOOD ;)

Thank you for your reply

Old Bob

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 10:23:44 PM »
Bring some of that Over to the primitive Saturday. I might show up!

Offline PPatch

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 01:39:35 AM »
"Had a little nap in the warm afternoon sunshine..."

Oh man is that one of my favorite pastimes when in the woods. Sounds like you had quite an adventure - thanks for sharing.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 04:55:33 PM »
Congrats, sounds like an awesome hunt!
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 06:18:24 AM »
"a nap in the sun shine"..aka... A poor mans Luxury!!!

Sounds like a perfect way to spend  a day in your life!

Been 2 years since I drop the hammer on a deer..but boy its been great!

Merry Christmas David R.

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 06:30:40 AM »
Thanks and a late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I was just thinking about that day. I was watching three grey squirrels playing around an old hollow tree that had been lightening struck years ago. When the deer showed up my focus shifted away from the squirrels. One of the squirrels had two big patches of white hair behind his ears and when he looked away from you it looked like he had two big eyes on the back of his head staring at you. As I was concentrating on the deer I noticed ole four eyes coming up a fallen log that ended exactly where I was sitting. He was no more than 3 feet from me when the gun let go and as I was concentrated on the deer and with the smoke I don't remember seeing which way he went but I'm sure he went in a hurry! I wonder if I hadn't fired if he would have ended up in my lap.
I woke up from a nap once years ago with a ferry diddle knawing on my freshly greased boot.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA