Author Topic: Goex vs. Ole Eynsford fouling comparison  (Read 14468 times)

Ranch13

Re: Goex vs. Ole Eynsford fouling comparison
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 06:33:28 PM »
Hanshi, they are using an air filtration system of some sort in refining the charcoal. Whole bunch of new processes being used with this powder. It will go off just fine in the pan of a flinter. A friend of mine has been shooting the 3f in a flintgun, and reports he's getting just as good or better accuracy/ignition using that in the pan, as he was using 4f..

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 12:58:42 AM »
While I know nothing about making proper charcoal for black powder, that's the sort of thing I was actually referring to, i.e. refining ingredients and more time; kinda like making good wine and "select" vintages.  OE sounds like good stuff to me.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 12:40:34 AM »
Just to clear up my last post on this subject.  One reason I wouldn't switch powders (at this point) is that I don't want another brand of powder I may very well have to work with and re-zero my rifles.  Even if I got down to one or two pounds of powder (Goex), I still wouldn't change as I don't want to introduce a different powder to my smoke-poles that I may have to tweak.

I'm glad that there is a new black powder on the market.  I'm sure the beginner, or those who are wanting to switch powder's will find it acceptable and the market will be good for it.  I simply have no desire to switch, unless like I said before - I'm forced to. :)

X2. Several have said POI shifts up so I don't want to tweak a bunch of sights. It shoots cleaner they say but I still have to clean up after shooting and been wiping between shots for >40 years. I see no reason to change from regular Goex FFg. If someone wants to change or just experiment that's fine.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Ranch13

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 06:23:58 PM »
 That's the neat thing about adjustable powder measures, if a person switch powder for what ever reason, then it's just a simple matter of changing the charge to bring the poi into place. Chronographs are handy things as well, then you can match the velocity of the old load with the new powder, and in the example of OE find out that you're shooting less powder for the same velocity, ie more shots per can... ;)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 09:14:18 PM »
That's the neat thing about adjustable powder measures, if a person switch powder for what ever reason, then it's just a simple matter of changing the charge to bring the poi into place. Chronographs are handy things as well, then you can match the velocity of the old load with the new powder, and in the example of OE find out that you're shooting less powder for the same velocity, ie more shots per can... ;)

I agree.  I've use more or less powder to adjust poi with most of my guns.  Works just fine.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 10:30:26 PM »
Like I said, I don't want to burn a pound or more getting a half dozen or more guns shooting to the same POI they now shoot and trimming the fixed powder measures that go with them.

If others want to change or experiment that's fine but don't expect others to be motivated the same.
Tc
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
I only use an adjustable powder measurer to zero a rifle, then I make an antler measurer for that rifle once it's zeroed.  Seems to work ok for me. :)
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Ranch13

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 02:47:48 AM »
 I built an antler shortstarter/powder measure combined tool for my 54 and the x's 45. Luckily both rifles worked well with a 1 gr per caliber powder charge for target work and doubled for hunting and long range work.