Author Topic: Wing sight  (Read 5580 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Wing sight
« on: January 10, 2014, 11:00:22 PM »
I am too lazy to make a wing sight for my fowler but I remember that there was a supply house that sold them, thought it was the Rifle Shoppe but I could not find it on their website and I distinctly remember seeing one for sale on a website.

I had one on my last fowler and really miss it on the current one.

Anyone happen to have one to sell or know where I can find one?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Wing sight
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 11:19:58 PM »
Dennis,
Check with Clay. He may have some.

sweed

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 11:51:32 PM »
 ??? What praytell is a wingsight?
sweed

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 12:20:26 AM »
Dennis,
If you're talking about the rear sight on the type G, Mike Brooks was rumored to have some at times.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 12:57:16 AM »
Huh What praytell is a wingsight?
sweed
Its a rear sight used on a fowler or trade gun. Works great for shooting birds on the wing, also for shooting round ball in your fowler.

Here are links to some of the type G trade gun sights on Clay Smith's website but I see he is temporarily out of stock. (Thanks James, good to see Clay carries them now. Also glad to see that he has started carrying more misc parts)

http://www.claysmithguns.com/typeG_sight.jpg

http://www.claysmithguns.com/G%20sight1.jpg

Actually the one I was thinking about was a little more up-scale than the Type G's but for the life of me I can't find the site I saw it on.

Dennis
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:58:48 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 03:12:13 AM »
Jack Brooks in Denver may have some. He used them on his Type G trade guns, patterned after the one at Williamsburg. I have one on my gun but it is not available. On the other hand if I change the site out to a buckhorn or something cool, it might be.
Dick

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 05:25:11 AM »
What kind of sight picture do you get? Is it just a wide V groove ? Can't really tell from the pictures.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 06:22:43 AM »
here is a similar one with a different view
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Captchee

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 06:36:38 AM »
 your not thinking of one of the higher end  french butterfly sights are ya Dennis  those are bigger then  the ones dave showed

razor62

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 05:22:04 PM »
I made this one last year in less than two hours. While not really a "Wing Sight" it was my interpretation. It's soldered onto the barrel rather than dovetailed.
I'm sure that with your talent Dennis, that you could come up with something much more HC and probably crank it out in far less time.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 08:52:32 PM »
That is one cool site.  ....Tom

mattdog

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 12:33:41 AM »
The Rifle Shoppe does have them.  They are like the one that Dave B shows in his picture.  You had better be sitting down when you get the bill for it though.   :o  If I post the price here I would be accused of exageration.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 04:48:05 AM »
Here are a couple more pics of the same sight Dave posted after the gun was finished.  It is a casting from Jack Brooks.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing