Author Topic: load reduction  (Read 3199 times)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
load reduction
« on: February 01, 2009, 06:10:53 AM »
What's the typical charge reduction when going for 2F to 3F to get the same velocity / barrel pressure? 

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Eric Laird

Re: load reduction
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 06:28:31 AM »
Ken,
Don't hold me to it, and it probably varies by brand of powder, but I seem to recall that the general rule of thumb is about 15%. If I can find my old Lyman Blackpowder Manual, I'll check and let you know. Now, If I could just remember where it is!
Eric
Eric Laird

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 06:38:37 AM »
I did not think about it being different for different manufacturers.  Good point.  I'm using Goex.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

roundball

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 06:45:41 AM »
What's the typical charge reduction when going for 2F to 3F to get the same velocity / barrel pressure? 

Ken
I use Goex and normally go by the 10% reduction factor

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 07:01:45 AM »

Ken
You will likely not get the same pressure/velocity.  FFFG may be slightly higher at the same velocity.
But I would not be concerned. I used to shoot 100 gr of FFFG Goex  in a 54. I currently use 90gr of Swiss FFFG.  50 used to use 90 goex currently shooting 75 Swiss but development is not complete. Generally smaller bores need more powder vs ball weight.
FFFG may shoot better and generally shoots cleaner.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine