Author Topic: A minor triumph and a major problem  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Elnathan

A minor triumph and a major problem
« on: January 21, 2014, 10:25:56 PM »
On another thread I expressed some frustration about my difficulties getting the breechplug out of a barrel. The minor triumph part of the title is that I did get it out, and I feel moderately confident that I could repeat the feat.

The problem is that the barrel was not breeched properly. The shoulder has some sort of gouge out of it where the end mill (?) failed cut evenly. It also has a bit of a burr as well, for good measure. It is impossible to photograph, unfortunately, but it looks like it is about .01" deep, deep enough to be a problem. I have no tools capable of fixing it, naturally.

I am thinking that the simplest solution might be to take the barrel over to the barrel company, which is not all that far away, and see if I can prevail upon them to at least clean up the shoulder and make sure the threads are alright. Would this be asking too much, do you think? It is not a new barrel, but I am the original owner and it has never been fired, just inlet into a stock that I decided wasn't worth finishing.

When that it done I guess I need to fit a new breechplug, something that I have never attempted to do. I guess I need to learn to do that sooner or later - I have a pistol barrel laying around that I need to breech at some point anyway and it will make a good practice piece. It would be nice if someone would post a tutorial on how do so.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: A minor triumph and a major problem
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 10:35:36 PM »
Check your email
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:35:51 PM »
I would go the "take it to the barrel maker" option. I am sure they would help. Also take the pistol barrel and obtain advice from them, at least enough info that you know you can possibly do it with the tools you have.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 11:24:21 PM »
I too would talk with the barrel maker about it and ask for some options.  As for your pistol breech plug, it's a good skill to learn how to do on your own.  The barrel maker can probably give you some better tips for fitting one too. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

galamb

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 01:03:04 AM »
Breeching your first barrel is a long and possibly scary process - always worried you are doing something wrong, at least I was.

It can be tedious if you are doing it by hand - couple swipes of the file, check the fit, color the end, couple more swipes with the file, try again etc

If you are going to end up doing a couple/few barrels it's worth getting the correct sized taps/dies - 5/8 x 18 and 3/4 x 16 tpi are "common" - I found both available at an ACE hardware for about 15 bucks a pop.

You can make up a tap by grinding off the last few teeth that will clean up the bottom of the breech..