Author Topic: A Question - Beck Related  (Read 2962 times)

Offline nord

A Question - Beck Related
« on: January 21, 2014, 02:19:37 AM »
My name is Tim Cosby I live in Ramer Al currently working on two Beck rifles for my sons. I have studied the Beck rifles in the ALR Library and it has been very helpful. This resource is of great value to all of us that do not have access to original rifles. Thanks so much for your efforts in making the Library available.
I do have a question that I haven't been able to answer by careful study of the Beck rifle pictures. The underlugs on the Beck barrel are quite visible in the photos yet I can't tell if they are dovetailed into the barrel or staked into the barrel. Can you shed any light on this matter?
I normally fold my underlugs and dovetail them similar to the way Gusler did in the movie. This method would work but is obviously not the way Beck did it. Your thoughts and comments on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tim
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline t.caster

Re: A Question - Beck Related
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 04:25:34 AM »
I've built 3 Becks and Dovetailed all 3. Two of them used keys and one (mine) uses pins. Not saying I am right or wrong.
Tom C.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 05:40:48 PM »
Tim
Go to this link http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=24724.0
Scroll through the photos till you get to the photo of the bottom of the barrel showing the lug. I looks to me as if it's a dovetail. Hope that helps.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 06:18:06 PM »
Thanks for the link, Micah. The bottom breech view of that barrel is spectacular.

..and I agree, it looks like dovetailed lugs.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 07:33:47 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I too thought when I looked at the photos of the Beck barrel in the Library that Beck dovetailed his underlugs. My doubts came when I carefully studied the sideviews I could see no evidence of a dovetail. Guess ol JP's shop just did close tolerance work. Of course barrel steel then was dead soft and easily molded and I would guess filed easily. I was hoping to here from someone that had restored a Beck and viewed a Beck barrel firsthand. Another thought how tall do you think the underlugs are appears they may exceed our 3/16 max web? Again thanks for your comments looks like dovetail it is. Tim

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 08:00:27 PM »
Interesting that the underlugs don't seem to be slotted to allow for expansion or contraction of the forearm.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling