Author Topic: Glass Bedding, etc.  (Read 2476 times)

BrushCountryAg03

Glass Bedding, etc.
« on: January 24, 2014, 10:12:12 PM »
Howdy everyone,

I've seen the posts on here related to bedding and understand pretty much what's involved but I do have 1 question:

HOW MUCH WOOD (IN TERMS OF THICKNESS) NEEDS TO BE REMOVED FOR THE LAYER OF THE BEDDING COMPOUND?

Any thoughts, opinions, & advice would be sincerely appreciated!

Thanks,

Will

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:12:50 PM by SouthernSteel&Shot »

Offline Artificer

Re: Glass Bedding, etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 11:17:54 PM »
Will,

There is no one right answer all the time.  Here are things that must be considered:

1.  Type of wood

2.  Condition of wood.  IOW, if the wood is oil/grease soaked, rotten, punky, etc., you need to cut that wood out. 

3.  Where on the stock are you planning on bedding?

4.  What kind of pressure is put on the bedding material?  Bedding around a breech takes more beating than further up the barrel.

5.  On muzzle loading guns, most of us try to hide the fact when we have to use glass bedding.  So one doesn't want to cut the wood close to the surface of the stock that will show.

Perhaps it would be better for you to explain what you are thinking of doing and then we can give the best answers.

Gus

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Glass Bedding, etc.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 07:13:29 AM »
Howdy everyone,

I've seen the posts on here related to bedding and understand pretty much what's involved but I do have 1 question:

HOW MUCH WOOD (IN TERMS OF THICKNESS) NEEDS TO BE REMOVED FOR THE LAYER OF THE BEDDING COMPOUND?

Any thoughts, opinions, & advice would be sincerely appreciated!

Thanks,

Will

What are you bedding and why?

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine