Author Topic: # @%&*^%  (Read 3541 times)

Offline frogwalking

# @%&*^%
« on: January 24, 2014, 01:16:33 AM »
I have a small mid-range tang sight that is fine, except the angle is not just right.  I took it apart and drilled new holes for the detent ball and spring in the base, and lower portion of the slide.  I was taking every precaution in assembly, doing it in a large mixing bowl with a strong magnet in the bottom.  I was  about to slip it together and noticed both the tiny coil spring and steel ball were gone...............
Does anyone know where I can get replacements without buying  whole kit from Brownells?
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: # @%&*^%
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 02:13:24 AM »
Show me a picture of the sight.  I may have what you need.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Artificer

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 02:15:06 AM »
If Taylor doesn't have one, what length and diameter of spring is it? 
Gus

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 05:44:28 AM »

The hole the spring and detent ball fit into is 3/32 inch diameter and quite short, maybe 1/4 inch deep.  I think the hole the detent ball "locks" into is a #51, but may be a #50.  I can't read the printing on the bit, and the drill box is so old, they fit any hole.    My son lost the detent ball last week, but my grandson found it!!!  I lost them both today, and looked for hours.   Both son and grandson have both gone home now.    Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 02:51:10 PM »
Using a piece of 3/32" drill rod,chuck a short as possible length in an electric drill
and using a fine file,roll a ball end on it.Get a Zippo type lighter and take the "flint"compression sprig out
of it and use it to push the detent into where it goes.An even stronger spring,if available would be better.

Bob Roller

Offline heinz

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 05:58:06 PM »
Follow Bob's advice after you try "looking" with a magnet.  Cheap ball point "clicker" pens are also a good source of springs.  You can usually twist them a little tighter in diameter.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Artificer

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 07:35:06 PM »
Frogwalking,
OK, a 3/32” hole means the outer diameter of the spring must be a bit less than  .09375”.  If the detent ball sticks out just a bit, then the spring should be close to the ¼” or slightly longer so the detent ball will be under tension.  

Tip 1.  When I lose a tiny part in my workshop floor, I lay a flashlight on the floor.  The beam will show parts even smaller than this by the shadow cast behind the part.  If that fails, I drag a magnet across the floor.

Tip 2.  When disassembling and reassembling things like this, do it INSIDE a clear plastic 1 gallon Kitchen Storage bag or a clear plastic bag that is even larger.  If the detent and spring escape, most of the time they will stay trapped inside the bag.  (That is experience talking.  GRIN.)

I don’t have the complete set of Detent Balls Brownell’s sells, but I have some.  I know I have smaller and larger ones and will check to see if I have that size.  I also have a LOT of springs close to that size, but I’m going to have to go through many gun parts boxes to hopefully find one, so it may take a day or two.

I checked out your location and it seems you are not far from Richmond.  There is an upcoming Gun Show at the Old State Fairgrounds (now called the International Raceway) on February 1-2 where I will have tables set up.  I would be glad to help another forum member at the show, if you are still having trouble with it.  If I don’t have the part or parts, there is another dealer who comes to the shows and he may have something that will work.  If you are interested in doing that, I’ll PM you info on the show.

Gus

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 07:37:02 PM by Artificer »