Author Topic: Building a Berks County gun for Morgan's Company of Riflemen  (Read 2537 times)

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
Building a Berks County gun for Morgan's Company of Riflemen
« on: January 27, 2014, 02:12:40 AM »
Hi Folks,
I am still completing my shop but I have some projects that I will begin as soon as I can.  One is a Berks gun that I will donate to Morgan's Riflemen in the Brigade of the American Revolution.  Living history groups have a difficult time attracting younger members.  For Morgan's Company, a major obstacle is an appropriate rifle because many younger folks cannot afford an HC gun after spending money acquiring their clothing and other equipment.  Having a few "loaner" guns available might help a lot.  In addition, my brother Nils and I visited the home of Malcolm Dick last June and his son gave me a maple stock that Malcolm had started to make into a Berks County-looking gun.  Nils and I both realized that building up the gun Mal started would and giving it to Morgan's would be a great way to honor Malcolm's long legacy as the leader of Morgan's Company for many years.  I will sign it "M. Dick and D. Person".  Malcolm was a naval architect and marine engineer who probably had some influence on the hull design of every American naval surface fighting ship afloat today.  He was devoted to living history and teaching about 18th century trades and skills. 

Enough of a too long intro. On page 38 of Hornberger's book on Berks County guns is pictured a very attractive rifle, maker unknown.  I am going to base my gun on this piece because Malcolm's stock will suit it pretty well.  The barrel will be shorter but I think all the other features should fit well.  Does anyone have any photos of this rifle that they could share?  Also, can anyone give me some recommendations about where to get a similar trigger guard.  I am going to copy the patchbox because it is one of the best I have ever seen.  Thanks in advance for any photos or information.  I will be very grateful.

Take care,

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Building a Berks County gun for Morgan's Company of Riflemen
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 02:44:43 AM »
Rifles of Colonial America #30 is by the same maker,plenty of information there.Reeves Goring can fix you up with the right hardware.

Mitch Yates

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 03:10:47 AM »
You realize that the USS Constitution is the oldest US Navy fighting ship afloat?
Gene

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 04:08:44 PM »
Hi Mitch,
Thanks for that tip.  RCA #30 is bang on.  I will also contact Reeves. 

Thanks again,

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."