Author Topic: LMF Stain  (Read 4353 times)

Whaleman

LMF Stain
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:48:47 PM »
I am going to use LMF Lancaster Maple stain. I don't have any maple scraps to test on. I did the ramrod and it seemed a little dark for my taste. I know it can be thinned with denatured alcohol. I also think I remember reading that this type of stain can be applied in numerous coats to build up to just the right color. What ratio should I mix together? Should I just go buy a piece of maple to test on? Thanks Much Dan

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: LMF Stain
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 10:52:32 PM »
Whale,

buying a piece of maple will do you no good.  You need to use a piece of the wood you are going to stain.  Each piece will take stain differently, so it's imperative to use a scrap from the stock you have.
LMF stains can be diluted with denatured alcohol.  Try 2:1 and try the stain, as you said, you can build up to the color you want.
Good luck.
In His grip,

Dane

Whaleman

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 10:55:26 PM »
Thank You. By 2-1 is the stain the 2 or the 1. Dan

ken

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:59:15 PM »
I have used that stain alot and like it . The more coats the darker it will get. To see the color try staining under the barrel as a test spot that will tell you the color you will get        ken

Whaleman

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 11:03:39 PM »
Ken, Thanks. Do you dulute? dan

ken

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 11:12:38 PM »
No I use it straight  in thin even coats  alwys blending as I go . I apply it with a peace of cloth cleaning patch  by hand .

galamb

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 01:05:23 AM »
You can always try it in the barrel channel or under the butt plate to see if you are going to be happy with the colour.

Whaleman

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 01:30:28 AM »
Thanks everyone. I thinned 2 part stain to 1 1/2 part denatured alcohol. Tried it in barrel channel. Liked it. Took a deep breath and stained the stock. After messing with this over a year I was actually scared. I think I like it a lot. I might want to go just a tad darker in which case I will thin a small amount even more and try another light coat. This stain really seems to bring out the curl. Dan

ken

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 03:13:17 AM »
Sounds good !! Remember to let dry for a day or two as some finishes will remove some of the stain , like linseed oil. Let it dry  and enjoy your new gun. Post a picture if you would. be nice to see ken

Whaleman

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 04:34:57 AM »
Thanks Ken, I will. Dan

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 06:10:50 AM »
Suggest that you go a little further in your testing and coat the stain in the barrel channel with some of your finish and let that dry.  The true color won't be apparent until the finish coat is applied.  When I I have applied LMF, if it is a little heavy it can be wiped back with a little denatured alcohol.  I have also tested it over aqua fortis stain as well to add in other tints if the AQ wasn't giving me enough red or yellow.  But all of these have to be seen with the finish over the stain to realize the finished color fully. 

Whaleman

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 02:04:26 AM »
Thank you Jerry for this correct advise. I appreciate your input. I did exactly as you suggested. I am using Chambers oil and it does seem to darken somewhat. Without your input I might have stained darker than I wanted. Dan