Author Topic: What's on your workbench?  (Read 26227 times)

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
Re: What's on your workbench?
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2014, 08:28:47 PM »
Nice "Rifle"  Rolf...

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2014, 04:38:59 AM »

hope fully this will be a slender BECK time will tell
paul

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2014, 04:52:41 AM »
Paul, your Beck is MUCH too square.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

blaksmth

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2014, 05:41:29 AM »
Clean Benches are DISGUSTING!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Herb

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2014, 07:29:07 AM »
Just finished lightening the trigger pull on the walnut .54 English Sporting Rifle.  It was over 5 pounds, the limit of my RCBS trigger weight guage.  I installed a longer trigger blade, TOW's #TR-G-260-T, to replace the one in #TR-York-TP which I started with.  Cut off the top little curl behind the blade.  Pull weight is now about 4 pounds.  The top is a Frederick Zorger York County rifle, basically, a .45 with a 36" Green Mountain barrel.  Am doing the carving now, then the engraving.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 05:49:08 PM by Herb »
Herb

BrushCountryAg03

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2014, 10:43:06 AM »
Not exactly my usual type of projects:  Completely redoing a Grade "B" Mosin Nagant just for the $#*! of it and the Ammo Can Boombox I'm almost done with (in this picture, I had just finished installing almost all of the components after coating the inside and outside of the can with bed liner).

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2014, 02:44:47 PM »
That old Mosin-Nagant is a potent old rifle.Just ask any old verteran
of the Wehrmacht that was in Russia about how well it worked.

Bob Roller

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2014, 04:18:11 PM »
Got enough chisels?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2014, 05:38:33 PM »
After a long break from building I got back to work on this cherry fullstocked late flinter. My wife found a box full of old stuff at a gunshow a couple of years ago and in the box was the remains of a brass patch box and trigger guard. I decided to piece this one back together and included it in this build. The barrel is a NOS 45 cal GRRW that I bought here in the for sale forum over a year ago.  I plan to make this rifle into a pin cushion of various inlays, tastefully done of coarse! I've always wanted to do that! :D          
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:40:52 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

BrushCountryAg03

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2014, 10:00:08 PM »
That old Mosin-Nagant is a potent old rifle.Just ask any old verteran
of the Wehrmacht that was in Russia about how well it worked.

Bob Roller

Yes Sir, you're absolutely right...After owning 10+ of them and shooting them out to literally 1000 yds open sight and with the Soviet PU scope, I know that they're nothing to scoff at.

Besides, a Grade "B" 91/30 from www.classicfirearms.com for $99.99 makes a great rifle to practice your bedding, sanding, staining, finishing, etc skills on and still end up in the end with a pretty rifle that's built like a T-34 tank.

BrushCountryAg03

« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2014, 10:01:16 PM »
Got enough chisels?

One can never have too many chisels.

BrushCountryAg03

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2014, 04:08:16 AM »
How do y'all like the new receiver-hitch mounted vice on my TIG table?  I forgot to include it in my first post...I'm getting ready to repair a "mistake" on a Hawken trigger guard.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2014, 07:49:57 PM »
Hi,
Well the only things on my bench top are bench tops.  I am still in the process of building benches for my shop.  The free standing bench will be my metal working bench, the benches against the wall are for staining and finishing, and the bench with drawers is for lay out and general purposes. 

This will become my engraving bench.

I still have to make my main woodworking bench, which will be an 8' long behemoth.  Once done and everything unpacked and put away, I can get back to finishing this rifle for one of my Alaskan friends:

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2014, 02:28:41 AM »
How do y'all like the new receiver-hitch mounted vice on my TIG table?  I forgot to include it in my first post...I'm getting ready to repair a "mistake" on a Hawken trigger guard.

With that rig,I 'll bet you can weld water to wood.Careful ya dont burn a hole thru the Hawken stock.Nice setup.Dave

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2014, 03:42:49 AM »
Only in my wildist dreams could I aspire to something like that.  I am sure you will enjoy it when it is finished.  (This comment is in reply to Dave's beautiful shop set up.)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 03:45:10 AM by frogwalking »
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

BrushCountryAg03

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2014, 09:24:50 AM »

With that rig,I 'll bet you can weld water to wood.Careful ya dont burn a hole thru the Hawken stock.Nice setup.Dave

Well Sir, she'll do quite a lot...It's a new Miller Syncrowave 210 AC/DC TIG & STICK machine.  Using .020 2% Ceriated Tungsten I've TIG'd as thin as just under 1mm using  about 35 amps.  (I still have yet to master welding tin foil or 2 beer cans bottom-to-bottom).

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2014, 04:16:34 PM »
You'll be a howling success when you can weld ice cubes to Teflon
or at least that is what was said on an automobile forum I'm on.

Bob Roller