Author Topic: Question for builders  (Read 2977 times)

TradT

Question for builders
« on: January 29, 2014, 05:45:33 AM »
I have a Traditions Kentucky kit and I absolutely cannot stand the two piece stock that came with it. Can any of you builders make a one piece stock and assemble the rifle if I sent all the rest of the parts?

If so, and you would be willing, could I get an estimate on what this would cost me say, using a walnut for the stock?

PS: I am not a wood worker so, making the stock myself is out of the question. That is how I am in the predicament that I'm in!

Offline Chunker119

Re: Question for builders
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 05:53:21 AM »
PM Sent.
Colton L. Fleetwood                
     "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway"  - John Wayne

Offline Captchee

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 05:30:22 PM »
 dont need to send a PM , i answer you right here .
 Yes .
in fact im  finishing an  older CVA for a customer right now .

as to price , its more then the cost of the gun . but it also include set triggers , new side plate and TG and sliding wood patch box . .
  i was provide with the rifle and a new  L&R lock .
 ill post some photos of the stock later tonight
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 05:31:09 PM by Captchee »

Offline Captchee

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 02:58:46 AM »

ok , here is my stock that replaces the two piece  stocks on the CVA , Traditions  type Kentucky rifles . im in the process of finishing this stock . the finish oils have yet to be applied .
as you can see it uses the  factory buttplate / but i replace the trigger guard , side plate and thimbles . the nose cap is also ground down  so as to provide a more  traditional brass nose cap as well as to reduce muzzle weight, while at the same time allowing  for the  use of the  nose cap as the forward barrel attachment , so no new under lugs nee to be cut .
 While not shown in these photos , I also replace the entry and  forward pipes with smaller 5/16 pipes vs. the much larger  factory 3/8 pipes . These get pinned to the stock .
 I also have always hated the factory side plates  so those get replaced .

In the case of this rifle , the owner wanted to go with double set triggers son a new TG was in order . while it was originally a flintlock, after 40 years the factory lock was  even more useless then it was when new. So we replaced that with an L&R .

As I mentioned earlier . Cost to do this work is more then the rifle . 

TradT

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 05:52:12 AM »
Wow, that sure is a beauty! Thanks for posting the photos. :)

Offline Captchee

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 07:22:47 AM »
 your welcome