Author Topic: Completely Forge Welded Guard  (Read 4204 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Completely Forge Welded Guard
« on: January 29, 2014, 12:00:09 AM »
I know this is not a big deal for some of you, but this is the first time I got a good completely forge welded guard.    It is a milestone for me.  The bow was a bit thinner than I wanted on the first try.   This one will work for me.   It was forged out of an 8" section of 1/2" square wrought iron fence.    The grip rail spur was welded as normal.   The grip rail was riveted to the bow and welded in two heats.   Obviously, I have some filing and bending to do.  

Next on the welding milestone list is a welded three piece E TN guard,  then an over the comb tang.   
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:03:33 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
Re: Completely Forge Welded Guard
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 12:03:15 AM »
Looks good to me. Awesome!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 12:45:48 AM »
Very nice Mark!   I hope to try my hand at something like that one of these days!  Gotta get some coal first....
That will be sweet when you get it filed up.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 01:59:56 AM »
i really like that.   that is talent
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 02:04:56 AM »
This is something I'd like to be able to do. Good for you, Mark.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 02:56:20 AM »
Guys,  It wasn't so hard once I slowed down and actually watched what I was doing.  By the way,  I use a propane forge and plan to get another one. 

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 04:40:29 AM »
Mark, looks great. Is that wrought iron? I was so afraid to try welding in the forge. Thankfully I had a good teacher who walked me through. My first weld was a chain link. I was so proud of it I carried it around in my pocket a couple weeks. Once you get the hang of it it's not that hard is it? I burned up a lot of steel starting out. Forge welding is a skill set that really makes you more versatile and allows a lot more creativity in what you can do. I forge welded a little hawk with wrought iron strap and a piece of plow steel sandwiched for the bit. I have been using it to split hickory for the wood stove and it passes the test with flying colors. Wrought iron spoil you though. It welds so much nicer than steel.
I make my lock bolts now with the heads forge welded on.
What is the advantage of the propane forge? Sounds expensive to operate. I haven't used a gas forge since high school shop class. I like my coal fire. Getting harder to get good coal though.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 05:00:59 AM »
Mark, did you use Borax for flux?

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 05:39:02 AM »
Fantastic Mark. Cant wait to see what you do with it.

Coryjoe

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 08:04:08 AM »
I use borax and boric acid for flux. 

The propane is expensive but it is easy to get and clean and easy to use.   You turn on the gas, press the igniter,  adjust the pressure and 15 minutes later you are at welding temp.  $20 worth o propane lasts 1.5 hours at welding pressure.  It takes 2 minutes to change tanks.  The forge I have doesn't allow you to adjust the oxygen input but the one I want to get does. That allows you to set a carburizing flame for welding and heat treating.  With the forge I am looking at getting,   I see no advantage to coal.  Of course,  most folks using propane, have a number of different types of forges or furnaces for different tasks. 

Offline cmac

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 05:04:30 PM »
Looks good! I've done a couple forge welded and the biggest problem I had was hitting too hard for the weld and flattening out the bow too much. I haven't done it with wrought iron and would like to try that.