Author Topic: Rifle in the white  (Read 4858 times)

Offline Snakebite

Rifle in the white
« on: January 30, 2014, 03:45:24 AM »
OK, I have two subjects.

1. I'm looking for anyone who has experience with a TVM rifle in the white. (Not Tip Curtis rifle or any other) How much was there to actually finish? Is there much file work or mostly sanding and staining and browning the metal?

2. What kind of tool(s) do you use for INCISED carving (not raised carving)? (exacto knife, V gouge, etc)

Thanks,
Snakebite

Offline whitebear

Re: Rifle in the white
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 04:07:21 AM »
Which TVM are you referring to, the one run by Randy Heil or the one run by the Avants?
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 04:56:16 AM »
OK, I have two subjects.

1. I'm looking for anyone who has experience with a TVM rifle in the white. (Not Tip Curtis rifle or any other) How much was there to actually finish? Is there much file work or mostly sanding and staining and browning the metal?

2. What kind of tool(s) do you use for INCISED carving (not raised carving)? (exacto knife, V gouge, etc)

Thanks,
Snakebite

Snakebite,

About 10 or 12 years ago (or there abouts), I had a TVM (Avants) Southern Rifle built in the white using a Douglas barrel I supplied them.  It was in walnut with steel furniture.  Like most rifles I've seen that are supplied in the white, there was a fair amount of final sanding required to prep the stock and then there was the finish.  The steel furniture was cast and required filing, sanding and browning. 

I would consider either getting the gun in the kit form to save a fair amount of money or just get it completely finished.  As I recall there is very little money saved by getting a TVM gun in the white versus getting it finished.

I'll let others address the tools for incised carving.  I'm just starting out there myself.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Snakebite

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 06:55:50 AM »
Which TVM are you referring to, the one run by Randy Heil or the one run by the Avants?

Avants (Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading, Inc., Natchez MS)

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 07:01:29 AM »
I got a pistol in the white from them and there was alot of woodworking left to do, plus the brass all needed taking down quite a bit. Also the lock mortice had some issues where the tumbler was not inletted quite enough. I am not a builder and it was a good project for me to work on. The pistol turned out ok.
Galations 2:20

Offline t.caster

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 08:41:16 PM »
for incise carving, I use a very small 2mm V gouge or veiner.
I picked these two veiners up in Japan years ago in an old woodcarving shop. 2100 yen back then was about $18.00 each.

Appropriate Bucks Co. carving...

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:35:03 PM by t.caster »
Tom C.

jamesthomas

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:51:22 PM »
 That's some fine carving! Please show us the whole rifle please because it looks to be a some fine eye candy.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 12:01:21 AM »
Hear is another Bucks/Verner rifle. I relieved the background a little after incising to make it stand out a little. The lines got lost in the curl a bit.

Tom C.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 12:28:58 AM »
James, what this? It was a slim little long gun, with a Getz A-weight .40 x 44" long barrel, & Chambers deluxe Siler lock.

Tom C.

jamesthomas

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 04:57:11 AM »
 That's a real nice rifle!, love that Loooong slim barrel!!. Thanks for showing it.