Author Topic: Ash as a ramrod??  (Read 4360 times)

Offline Darrin McDonal

Ash as a ramrod??
« on: February 04, 2014, 06:42:06 PM »
Has anyone used or heard of using ash as a ramrod wood?? I found a have a half dozen pieces that, if they were hickory I would be dancing a jig. Being ash, I dont know if I should cut'em up and burn them or put them to use.
Thanks for the input.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

D. Bowman

Re: Ash as a ramrod??
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:00:50 PM »
If the growth rings are tight it should make a fine ramrod. Also makes good arrow shafts.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 07:18:13 PM »
I don't see why they wouldn't work well. Ash used to be the standard wood for spear shafts, axe handles, and the like back in Europe, and while American Ash isn't quite so good as the European variety I imagine that it would still be a quite appropriate wood for the application.

I just finished making an axe handle from ash and found it very pleasant to work with.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 08:20:14 PM »
Well thanks. Thats good news. Now I need to try to bandsaw following the growth ring. Somebody mentioned this technique before as apposed to splitting it. This is dry, I certainly dont want to fight with splitting it. I tried that with a piece of dry hickory. Let me tell you, that sh** will fight you tooth & nail when its dry. I am sure it was very comical to watch me trying to split this 3/4" x 4" board.  Ash cant be much more forgiving can it?
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 08:44:30 PM »
I agree that a fine grained piece of ash will make decent ramrods.  I made up a set of arrows to go with my English warbow from a board at the local hardwood dealer's.  I ripped it on the table saw into 1/2" squares and using an electric drill, ran them through a dowel making jug I bought at Lee Valley Tools.  The shafts came out at a little more than 7/16", most with a bit of a warp to them, but easily straightened by burnishing the high side.  These are tapered to each end down to 3/8".
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 09:24:36 PM »
D. Taylor Sapergia; Sir,  the arrow set shown looks great, I like them. Are they with a finish or have rubbed in oil finish ?? Thanks, AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 12:13:42 AM »
Ash should work. They used to use it for well pump rods in the old days. Don't be afraid to split it dry, I actually find it easier to split dry than green.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 12:27:51 AM »
Hi,
Ash was commonly used for ramrods on British and other European guns.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 12:46:46 AM »
a-j...rubbed down with Tung Oil Circa 1850 brand.  Thanks for the compliment.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 02:44:35 AM »
I suspected it should work. Maybe I will post the process / progress of it though I wont get to it for a little while.
Mike I will try splitting it first since I have dove in yet. I might as well, before sawing it. Split has got to be better.
Darrin
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 03:12:35 AM »
straight grained ash will work BUT most all of the production guns years ago, t c, cva etc. were supplied with ash rods and most was cross grain "cause it looked good" and they I believe are the ones that gave wood rods a bad rep.    woods have their various uses for a reason and have stood the test of time .
living in the hope of HIS coming.......