Author Topic: runs in varnish  (Read 2262 times)

Offline RichG

runs in varnish
« on: February 08, 2014, 04:18:25 AM »
finally got brave and varnished my stock. I think I thinned the varnish to much and now have multiple runs in the finish. other than steelwooling the finish off and trying again any suggestion for removing the runs?

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Re: runs in varnish
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 04:46:00 AM »
Hey Rich,
   When using any finish on a longrifle, if you're getting runs, it means you're using far too much finish.  When applying a finish whether oil or varnish, you should try to rub the finish in to the stock, not brush it in.  As for removing the runs, I'd use some 600 to 1000 grit sandpaper with a flat wood backer to try and shave down the runs.  Alternatively, you can remove your finish entirely and start over with a thinner coat.  Runs won't happen because you applied too thin a finish, but too much.  What kind of finish are you using?  Best
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline RichG

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 05:40:52 AM »
modern varnish with red analine dye . looks very good over 10% nitric acid. I used a brush after thinning out the varnish.

Offline Habu

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 08:43:32 PM »
Some of the older (early 20th century) accounts of varnishing and enameling interior woodwork mention using a razor blade to "shave" off runs and drips, before dressing them down with abrasives.  It works--at least on flat surfaces--but I think I'd want to practice a bit before trying it on a rifle stock. 

I've never used varnish on a rifle, but I've used it to finish a few violins and the like.  I think Eric has summed it up just right--you want to work like you are rubbing the varnish in with the brush, not brushing it in or painting.  At least with the varnishes I've used, you need to work quickly, and not try to work over the same area too much. 

It takes most people a few tries on their first project, and the only ones I've seen who got it right the first try had practiced on other things first so I'm not sure that counts.