Author Topic: Swivel Instillation  (Read 3239 times)

Offline rsells

Swivel Instillation
« on: February 15, 2014, 03:37:45 AM »
When installing a swivel in the forearm of a rifle, how much clearance do you guys target between the screw and the underlug/forearm holes?  Thanks for the information.
                                                                                                         Roger Sells

Offline Long Ears

Re: Swivel Instillation
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 04:21:03 AM »
If I understand the question I use the screw that passes through the Swivel to pass through the underlug and it replaces the pin. Bob

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 04:28:31 AM »
That sounds like a feasible idea, but it has a fault.      I was always instructed to place the swivel so that when it is hanging
down it will be resting on a thimble.  If you place it somewhere else it will interfere with replacing the ramrod.........Don

Offline rsells

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 05:23:28 AM »
I am questioning the fit between the swivel screw and the underlug that it passes through as well as the clearance between the screw and wood on each side of the under lug mounted to the barrel that the swivel screw passes through.  The position of the lug that the swivel is attached is positioned so that the swivel rest on the thimble.  I am just concerned about the amount of movement the swivel screw has between the hole in the under lug and wood on each side.  This lug is only used to attach the swivel.  The swivel screw is a 6-40  and I was wondering what size hole you guys are drilling in the forearm and through the swivel underlug for attachment of the swivel.
                                                                                       Roger Sells
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:26:10 AM by rsells »

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 07:09:35 AM »
Got it, I go one size up on the numbered bit set but I slightly slot the hole north and south for expansion and contraction. I found I had to make the sling lugs a little longer than the ones available. Bob

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 04:59:35 PM »
I always made the swivel lug from key stock. So it would be as wide as the barrel flat or a bit less. Using a tight clearance  hole for the swivel bolt. This reduces the swivels rocking that may split the forend. I drilled the forend hole a good 1/32 bigger than the bolt. Ten plus years no problems even after falling on ice onto the rifle while slung over my shoulder. BJH
BJH

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 09:11:12 PM »
For a front swivel, I use a wider tenon just for the swivel screw. The wide tenon keeps the screw from being twisted in the stock, maybe splitting the for end. The swivel tenon is placed so that when the swivel drops while loading, it falls on a thimble, not blocking the thimble. In the woods, with that urgent second shot, you might just need to easily and quickly replace the rr without having to fidget with the swivel.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.