Author Topic: Designing a rifle starting with a specific lock  (Read 5808 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Designing a rifle starting with a specific lock
« on: February 13, 2014, 08:45:46 AM »
Up to now I have decided what I want to build and then gathered the parts.  This time I am sort of working backwards.  I just received from Bob Roller one of his superb little Manton flintlocks and need to figure out what would be proper use of the lock in a .40 cal rifle.  Tennessee rifles might be one choice but I am not a fan of them.  Perhaps something from Westmoreland or Allegheny Co in Pennsylvania?   I also like relief carving and swamped barrels if possible.  What are your ideas for a rifle using this lock?   

Thom

Re: Designing a rifle starting with a specific lock
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 12:57:43 PM »
That should be ideal. Building a rifle around a lock

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 01:37:56 PM »
    All you need is a look at Longrifles of Western Pennsylvania, by Rosenberger and Kauffman, and you will have lots of inspiration.  Bill shipman's recent posting should set the bar high enough to bring the rifle up to the quality of the lock--and beyond...

Lots of luck
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 05:09:35 PM »
Up to now I have decided what I want to build and then gathered the parts.  This time I am sort of working backwards.  I just received from Bob Roller one of his superb little Manton flintlocks and need to figure out what would be proper use of the lock in a .40 cal rifle.  Tennessee rifles might be one choice but I am not a fan of them.  Perhaps something from Westmoreland or Allegheny Co in Pennsylvania?   I also like relief carving and swamped barrels if possible.  What are your ideas for a rifle using this lock?   

Any post 1790 rifle  should be fine. Not all Kentuckys have Germanic locks.
There are JP Becks with late English import locks on them but otherwise typical Becks. Something in 40-45 cal with an A or B swamp would be perfect. Look at N Hawk, Fordney, Beck. One of the Maryland rifles. Host of choices other than western PA or SMR.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 05:28:46 PM »
A nice lock for a halfstock NY or New England rifle. The possibilities are endless.

If you get really stuck, I'd love to take that problem lock off your hands!
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 06:16:41 PM »
Acer....now that you have mentioned New England half stock rifles, there was a one on the cover of Muzzle  Blasts years ago
that I kind of got excited about, can't remember the name of the builder.......help me out........Don

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 06:47:24 PM »
Golly, Don, I don't remember the maker. They can be really snazzy looking guns. I like the wooden underribs, and general outline of the stocks. Kind of sleek, practical.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 07:34:22 PM »
Acer,

Buy your own lock from Bob!!  He is still taking orders and the wait time isn't bad at all even though he was frozen out of his workshop for a few days this winter. 

Rather shocking to compare the size of this lock to the Siler, and larger locks I have used in the past.  Interesting that these were commonly used on side by side shotguns with their large barrels at breech.  I wonder at the fine metal work required to make and fit these tiny parts - but I suppose this is nothing to a watch maker who's skills also mystify me. 

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 07:57:22 PM »
At this time I am not taking orders and am still frozen out of the shop.
This is by far the worst winter I can remember for many years.
A cinder clock building was easy to put up 52 years ago but in spite of
repairs and  general tightening up,it is still too cold to work in there and
I won't risk another bout with pneumonia.Tomorrow is the 32nd anniversary of
my first bout with pneumonia and a collapsed lung. When I get some of this
work done, I may consider taking in more but I am not sure of that.

Bob Roller

eddillon

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 08:09:51 PM »
I also have one of those Petite locks from Bob.  Mine is going to grace the side of a Boutet style pistol.  Have the wood selected.  Beautiful piece of Turkish walnut from my wood pile,  Grain takes a proper 90 degree turn through the wrist and heads straight south.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 08:11:53 PM »
English "Rook" or small game rifle....  .30 to .40 cal.   36" swamped bbl. shotgun steel trim.  curly walnut stock..... ::)  Tom  

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 08:30:54 PM »
How about a nice little Lehigh/Northhampton style rifle in about .40 cal. with a swamped barrel. These guns are often, so lithe, and balanced, they are a pleasure to shoulder, and shoot.

Hungry Horse

eddillon

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 10:18:11 PM »
Go with Hungry Horse.  I have a couple of originals that are a pleasure to behold and shoulder.  Won't shoot them, though.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 10:53:10 PM »
Jerry, If you like carving and inlays the Christian Beck, Running Deer rifle would work, with a little minor filing of the lock profile.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln