Author Topic: Inletting little curvy inlays.  (Read 20178 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Re: Inletting little curvy inlays.
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2011, 02:20:23 AM »
I was going to change shapes every other barrel pin.  And Dave; You don't even have to brag!  That is disgustingly beautiful!
Roger
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2011, 02:53:48 AM »
Hi Roger,
I think changing the shapes of the escutcheons around the pins as you move toward the muzzle is a great idea because the shape of the forestock changes.  You can tailor the shapes to be in proportion to the stock.  I've seen a number of longrifles on which that was done and it looks very good. Actually, it almost always looks a lot better than keeping the inlays the same.  I also think mixing metals is very attractive.  I realize that 18th and 19th century gunmakers generally were restrained when creating color in their work, but mixing colors can really add visual appeal.  I was being a little impish posting those pictures because it is a 17th century gun, a time when multiple media were commonly used on guns and colors were sometimes extravagant.  It also has a lot of curly little inlays that were, not surprisingly, challenges of the pucker the sphincter and hold tight variety.

Anyway, happy Thanksgiving Rodger and good luck,

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

docone

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2011, 04:04:58 AM »
That is some awsome work!
Someday, if I keep practicing.....

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2011, 02:15:14 PM »
Had to do that didn't you?   That piece of work sure merits some pucker!   You and Larry Gardner ought to get together and compare notes.   Good Job.............Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2011, 04:54:45 PM »
My project hates me.  It's been fighting me ever since I started it  I tried inletting one of those Vincent barrel pin inlays and it whipped me again.  I had it nearly in when the inlet started chipping all over the place and wound looking like a beaver put it in.  Ugly.  Do you guys have any techniques for inletting these compound curve inlays that I can use?
Roger B.

Sometimes the wood itself can defeat you.
I have a piece of hard maple right now that makes me wonder if the seller slipped in a piece of red maple.
It has some really soft and flaky areas. If I can get it carved and the finish on this will hopefully strengthen the carving.
Some pieces of wood are going to chip out extremely easily. Putting a complex patchbox/inlay in a piece of wood that has poor structural integrity is just a nightmare. They can chip around inlays etc even after they are finished.
So a piece of wood that will work OK for something like a "plain" rifle can be a nightmare on a complex rifle with carving and a fancy patchbox.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline whitebear

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 07:54:02 AM »
Hi Roger
Here is how I do it.I did this rather quickly but I hope it helps you out.

Hope this helps you out!!
Mitch Yates

Mitch at what poin5t in the inlay process do you stain the stock?
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 09:08:09 PM »
Whitebear

Staining and finish are the last things that I do.I do it with almost all of the metal parts installed in the gun as I don't enjoy the process of scraping the finish out of the inlets to reinstall the metal parts.Much easier to clean the finish off the metal parts once finished.

Mitch

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 11:08:54 PM »
Question for Taylor,  the upper circle on that PB is it the push button release, if so can we see it in action,  Really beautiful piece a work...Tom

DaveP (UK)

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2014, 05:41:12 PM »
Simple curiosity.
I've just viewed the photos - What is the brass object let in under the cheek piece?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2014, 07:22:57 PM »
GM, here's a few pictures to describe the release mechanism for the Kuntz rifle.  In studying the photos of the original, I could plainly see the button in the top panel, and just knew it was the release button for the lid.  So I made a few drawings of how I thought it might work, and this is what I ended up with.

Here's the mechanism installed...

...and finished

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 07:27:05 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2014, 12:25:13 AM »
Golly, Taylor, why didn't I think of that! That looks so easy!   ;D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2014, 03:20:01 AM »
Taylor, I know you have heard these words before, but they need to be heard again. Your craftsmanship ... your gift ... is absolutely astounding. Thanks much for sharing with us so freely. Take care .. Bill