Author Topic: 20 gauge smoothbore by Dave Dolliver  (Read 4389 times)

Offline runastav

20 gauge smoothbore by Dave Dolliver
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:55:47 PM »
Hi all!
In Muzzleloader November/December 2008  this interesting gun with wooden underrib made by Dave Dolliver. Anyone can tell me more about this gun? Photos?
Runar

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
Re: 20 gauge smoothbore by Dave Dolliver
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 11:10:36 PM »
Daves a member here, give him a shout.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 12:39:59 AM »
Runar,
Here are some photos of an original wood rib smoothbore.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 04:12:37 AM »
  You see wooden under-ribs quite often on New England guns, both rifled and smooth bored.
                      Dan

Offline runastav

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 09:55:34 AM »
Hi, and thank you all for information and TOF  for photos :) Why  did  they use wooden rib  cheaper?

Runar

Offline Habu

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 10:50:40 PM »
Wood ribs cost less, and were more available--if you can stock a rifle, you can make a wood rib.  Metal ribs either had to be forged and filed out, or purchased. 

Offline northup87

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 12:25:56 AM »
The benefit of forward weight reduction was probably figured in too.
A.J. Downey

Dave Dolliver

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 07:52:39 AM »
I suppose I should chime in here with a few details.

About 1992 I was asked to do a project that had been planned between 2 fellow club members when 1 of them (the builder) passed  away.  It was to be a "New England buck and ball gun with a wood rib".  That was all of the instruction!!  Most of the parts had been gathered but no work had been done.  At that time I could find no pictures of such a gun tho'  Lindsay's "New England Gun" did mention a "wood rib" on one of his fowler examples but no full length pictures.

I have since made 3 more, 1 for myself.  We have many Trade Gun shooters in this area thanks to Mike Nesbitt's pushing the subject and these fowlers satisfy the NMLRA Trade Gun rules and for me are much more comfortable to shoot.  I have used only 20 ga barrels so far; all 36" long and octagon to round and tapered.  Used Siler locks and fowler furniture. 

Lugs were soldered to the barrel to attach the wood rib with pins and the ram rod pipes were pinned to the rib.

I feel they're easier to swing to shoot at clay birds than longer barrels would be due to lighter weight and shorter length.

Dave Dolliver

Offline runastav

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 02:40:41 PM »
Hi, and thank you all!
Dave Dolliver do you have photos to deal with us?
Runar

Dave Dolliver

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 04:05:05 PM »
Nope, no photo capability.  I just made a half stock fowler type that locks like any you might take out of "Flintlock Fowlers" but with a wood rib.

Dave Dolliver