Author Topic: Colerain breechplug tang  (Read 2228 times)

Offline A.Merrill

Colerain breechplug tang
« on: February 19, 2014, 05:19:42 AM »
    The tang on the breech plug is just over a 1/4in thick and I would like to thin it down some. Should I remove it all from the underside or the top or the top and bottom both??      Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: Colerain breechplug tang
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 05:43:58 AM »
Al,

For thinning purposes I would remove metal from the bottom side.  On final shaping after inlet you will file off a small amount on the top side.  A forged tang will be thicker on the plug side and thinning towards the finial.  You may want to mimic the "forged" shape when you are thinning the tang.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Colerain breechplug tang
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 05:51:46 AM »
I really don't think you want to do that.    Having too little breech plug tang is not something I have ever worried about.    Assuming the tang goes down in the wood deep enough (1/8" give or take) at the end,  just file the excess tang off at the top to match the curve of the wrist.   You should remember that the breech of the barrel and  the recoil lug of the breech plug bearing against the wood as well as the breech plug tang is what supports the barrel.   The wood forward of the lock does not much more than hold the ramrod.   That is the reason the old time gun builders (and myself) didn't (don't)  generally bother to closely inlet the more than the last 6" or so of the barrel.    It simply doesn't make any difference,  at least not to the type of shooting we do.