Author Topic: Looking to get a lefty Early Germanic built (made?).  (Read 4301 times)

jamesthomas

Looking to get a lefty Early Germanic built (made?).
« on: February 22, 2014, 02:59:22 AM »
 Since Mr. Roller is no longer in the lock business, I'm looking for someone to make a Lefty Early Germanic Lock from a Gun Makers lock from Jim Chambers. I would like one for a Isaac Haines build down the road a ways. I just like the way the tail curves down into the wrist area. Thank you, James E.

Offline cmac

Re: Looking to get a lefty Early Germanic built (made?).
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 02:35:16 PM »
Here is one I made from a Chamber's gunmaker's lock... http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=28215.30   I don't think you can get much more of a"banana shape" out of one of these. I was close to the internals on the back. Really the plate isn't quite large enough to achieve what I wanted. At least without welding on or making a new/larger plate all together

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 03:46:40 PM »
James, it's not strictly possible to get a mirror copy of the Chambers Germanic from the a Gunmakers lock with the existing parts. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 04:45:06 PM »
As Rich said an exact copy of a Chambers Early Germanic from a Gunmakers lock would be difficult ,but it is possible to get a nice early lock out of it.This is one I did a while back out of a Gunmakers albeit a right handed one that is based on the lock on the Jon Schriet (RCA#18) rifle.It would also possible to unbridle the frizzen if you wished.

Mitch Yates

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 04:46:30 PM by aka tallbear »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 04:50:01 PM »
Nicely done!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 05:47:23 PM »
It is possible to make a banana shaped lock using a left handed siler lock and making a new lockplate out of sheet metal.
I made the locks below for a pair of Swedish officer pistols. All the parts expect the lockplate are from the small siler lock. To get the banana shape the tumbler had to be placed lower on the lock plate in relation to the pan.

1.Fit the pan to the new lockplate blank.

2.Take a compass and measure the distance from the middle of the pan to the middle of the tumbler hole. Put one compass leg on the middle of the pan and rotate the other on the new plate to find the new center for the tumbler hole.

3. Mount the rest of the parts on the lock plate

4. Adjust the parts so the lock works. You will have to shorten the hook on the main spring and the toe of the tumbler were it rests. Likewise the angel of the shoulder of the cock and the
angel of the frizzen toe has to be adjusted.

I was surprised how far the the tumbler could lowered and still make a lock that sparks great.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:56:32 PM by Rolf »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 07:05:57 PM »
Nice lock work Rolf and TallBear.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

jamesthomas

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 08:12:14 PM »
 Yes, that's some nice work!. Its tough being a lefty shooter, I'm right handed but because of physical problems I can only shoot left handed. Jim Chambers said if I can come up with $25,000.00 for the tooling set up he could start making lefty Germanic and Late Ketlands, anybody have some spare change? ;D What other lock would work for a Isaac Haines other than a Siler lock?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 08:48:33 PM »
You could use a roundfaced English. They were imported in the 1750's thru 1790's, and used on American guns. Take a little artistic license.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 08:49:08 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 08:57:54 PM »
You could use a roundfaced English. They were imported in the 1750's thru 1790's, and used on American guns. Take a little artistic license.

RCA 74, by Valentine Fondersmith, has a round-faced lock.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

jamesthomas

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 10:18:45 PM »
 Thanks guys, you all have given me something to think about  :).