Author Topic: flintlock differences  (Read 4017 times)

Offline snapper

flintlock differences
« on: March 01, 2014, 08:27:45 PM »
I only own one flintlock and a bunch of percussion guns.  However, I am interested in learning  what makes a beck county, Christian springs or various other "schools" of building different from each other.

Is there a book out there that will help explain to me the differences of each style of build?

Thanks

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: flintlock differences
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 08:53:24 PM »
One of the best books, well it's a two book series, is Shumway's 'Rifles of Colonial America', referred to on this site as RCA.

Shumway illustrates the different styles of gun made, region by region. Considered the Kentucky Longrifle resource.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

galamb

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 09:03:31 PM »
If you want a "quick look" you can take a look at this link http://americansocietyofarmscollectors.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/B020_Sullivan.pdf

It's crude, black and white/hand drawn diagrams and was published in 1969, but does cover some of the major profile, more specifically from the lock back to the butt.

Worth a look.

Offline snapper

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 05:08:03 PM »
thanks

fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 04:48:41 AM »
See if your local library can get you the two books that Acer mentioned. They are a great resource.

nchunter

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 03:02:14 PM »
If you want a "quick look" you can take a look at this link http://americansocietyofarmscollectors.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/B020_Sullivan.pdf

It's crude, black and white/hand drawn diagrams and was published in 1969, but does cover some of the major profile, more specifically from the lock back to the butt.

Worth a look.

That is a nice article for a quick reference. I can see why the Lancaster style is so popular today. That Bethlehem style in particular looks like it would be painful to shoot.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 07:17:30 PM »
 nchunter, Some can be, but if you break 'Bethlehem' is usually broken down into sub-schools, like 'Buck's county', 'Lehigh Valley', and sometimes, 'Allentown'. the Lehigh's tend to be the ones that give most people trouble as far as being cheek popers, but with good architecture, especially the butt plate arrangement, that tendency can be overcome.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln