Author Topic: Percussion swivel breech  (Read 3811 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Percussion swivel breech
« on: March 04, 2014, 01:19:56 AM »
Does anyone make a quality percussion swivel breech action that I can match up with 1 1/8" barrels?  These would be in the .69 caliber range.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Dave B

Re: Percussion swivel breech
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 07:01:00 AM »
Roger That would be a monster of a swivel breach. I am not aware of any one making one that size. You might be able to talk Leonard Day into making you one. No Idea what it would cost you though.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 05:28:02 PM »
Wow, where are you guys coming from?  Sounds like a two shot wall gun.  ........Don 

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 06:44:07 PM »
Maybe needs a carrige,or Superman to tote it?Man,what a cannon. :D

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 07:30:54 PM »
 Roger;

You would be asking a swivel bolt, and locking device, to take a heck of a lot of abuse, with a caliber that size. You would have a lot less strain on a relatively small part if you built an over and under, or side by side, double instead. You of course would have to regulate the barrels, on either double gun.

Hungry Horse

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 08:16:38 PM »
Another of my hare brained schemes.  Been talking to South African outifitters and will be selling some stuff to go on a plains game hunt.   I could go smaller on caliber, and was only going to go about 34" in barrel length in any case.  I've never had any experience with wenders, so I don't know how much abuse they will take, but I thought a quick second shot might be helpful.  I don't even want to think about building a double, though that would definitely be the rifle to take.  If I start taking my medicine again I'll get back to reality, but that's boring!  I can probably do an OK British style single barrel which would be fine. 
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 08:18:01 PM »
Doc White has something like that up on his site as a future build.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 08:23:01 PM »
Roger, I'm sure one of the swivel makers can make up one that size, and with modern steel, could be made to easily withstand the recoil.
But it's gonna be Heavy!

As example, I have a late period Berks swivel with 1" straight octagon barrels, 31" long and about 50 Cal. On my bathroom scale the thing weighs in at about 17 or 18 pounds! It shows signs of being shot a lot, so someone enjoyed it.

Like some of the guys have said, you might want to consider mounting yours on wheels!

John
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 10:48:40 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 11:27:32 PM »
Roger;

Think about an O/U, in maybe .58 cal., that uses an elephant nose hammer on the left side. Or, if you really want a challenge  build a double side slapper lock. The breechplugs and barrel tangs can easily be shop made, and secured together with a countersunk socket head machine screw. A nice wood butt stock, and some matching wood side panels would make a real eye catcher. Double ramrods would give you a second chance if one got broken or lost.

Hungry Horse

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 11:33:57 PM »
I was thinking you'd need a gun bearer for that beast, but if you're going to Africa I guess you've got that covered - PH probably has two strapping young Zulu's to carry your gear.   :D
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"