Author Topic: Issues with the TANG  (Read 3840 times)

Stink Pole

Issues with the TANG
« on: March 13, 2014, 10:57:53 PM »
Hey guys,
Got all my parts for my hawken fullstock yesterday and have breached it up and started the inletting. I have found that the precarved has a bit of a tweak in the forend that causes the tang to be a bit askew. If I put the tang in its proper location it throws the breach over hard towards the lock plate mortise which in turn causes stress on the whole left side of the barrel channel. I'm thinking of having a buddy welder of mine add some tig welds down the tang on the lock side and then reshape it to fit the inlet for the tang. I would need to add about 3/32nds of metal to make up the differance. Will this work to correct the problem? Any ideas?

Jason

necchi

Re: Issues with the TANG
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 12:21:37 AM »
Why not remove wood on the right side?
That's the big deal with those "kit's" the parts aren't just drop in, they need to be fitted into the wood in proper location.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:22:35 AM by necchi »

Stink Pole

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 01:23:25 AM »
I will have to but it will leave me with a 3/32 gap on the opposite side that will need to be filled somehow. My thinking is that if I make the tang wider it will wok out fine. Can I use a tig to put more material there without causing warping issues or something else?

Online T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 01:44:06 AM »
Have someone hold a string in the center of the muzzle.  Then you pull it tight and run it down the center of the barrel and out past the tang.  I'll bet a dollar to a donut that the standing breech is not 90 degrees to the breechplug.  I have run across untold numbers of castings that are thicker on one side of the parting line.  Most guiys just file em flat instead of filing the excess material off the thick side.  This ends up making your tang crooked.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Stink Pole

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 01:59:21 AM »
Just tried the string thing and its all square. Definately a stocking issue. Wondering if I can steam bend the stock or heat and bend the tang over. Any thoughts?

Offline sz

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 03:03:42 AM »
It may be a better option for you to re-fit the standing breach and tang to the breach plug so it off-sets to fit the inlet.  You may be able to file the face at a slight angle so the tang moves over and then heat and forge the hook to fit.

coutios

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 03:10:06 AM »
      If you are sure the breech plug is correct.... Call your supplier BEFORE YOU CUT ANYTHING... See what they say....  Follow their lead if it seems correct... Once you cut it its yours....

Keep in touch
Dave

Stink Pole

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 03:17:44 AM »
okay. Thanks Guys

Stink Pole

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 12:02:08 AM »
Well, looks as if I figured it out. Basically just worked alternating sides of the barrel inlet to accommodate the offset of the whole barrel and tang. A bit more work then I needed but it's worked out and everything looks square.