Author Topic: lock plates fowler/rifle diffrences and does size matter?  (Read 3676 times)

Offline huntinguy

lock plates fowler/rifle diffrences and does size matter?
« on: March 14, 2014, 02:14:29 AM »
I am learning I don't know very much... But that is a good thing.

Why is it more common to see round face locks on fowling pieces and flat face locks on rifle style guns?

Also, the question of size. In this case I am working on a Beck style rifle and using a A weight barrel. Is a lock the size of a large syler too large? I thought for sure it was now I am not so sure. (I have about half the parts in hand or coming)

now to the fowler, I have a barrel almost the same size 1.01 at the breech and .71 at the muzzle (OtR). I want to build into a light weight fowler but Queen Anne large seems too large and the Queen Anne small seems too small. (I have just started to plan this one out.)

Hence, what are the best options that will look reasonably correct?
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: lock plates fowler/rifle diffrences and does size matter?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 05:53:09 AM »
Good questions.  Most fowling pieces you're seeing are probably English and a high proportion of English 18th century locks were round faced.  Most rifles you're seeing are probably from Pennsylvania etc or other areas where Germanic gunsmiths made most of the rifles.  And most Germanic export locks of the time were flat faced.

In any build you should be working with a drawing or blueprint with the actual dimensions of your parts.  Most of us not using precarves draw our own blueprints.  This will tell you how a particular lock will work with a particular barrel in a certain style of rifle.  There are a large variety of original rifles with similar sized locks. 

I think A weight barrels are used more often now than originally because today's shooters want lighter guns.  I could be wrong and there could be original Becks with barrels this light.  Whenever planned builds differ significantly from originals, greater skill will be required to make it look right.
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 06:52:45 AM »
If your rifle build is a JP Beck (there were several Beck guys making rifles), then the lock plate on the rifle is traditionally smaller than a Lg Siler.  A small Siler, or a Stan Hollenbaugh lock, is a good size - especially with that A weight barrel. 

For the fowler, Chambers' large round faced English lock is perfect.  Wonderful lock.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 06:40:50 PM »
Try the M&G lock -- it is a little smaller than the large Siler and is a fine lock.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 08:15:35 PM »
   J.P. Beck traditionally used a somewhat smaller lock.  As Taylor said the small Siler would be one of the closest production locks. Stan Hollenbaugh's  "Beck lock" is made from castings originally molded from an Original Beck lock.  They are very good locks, and absolutely correct for a Beck project.  The A weight barrel is rather small for a Beck, even the smallest Becks ( yes they did come in several sizes).
    The "Baby Ann" lock was intended as a pistol lock, and would be way too small for a good fowler.  Keep your lock moldings tight and fit things correctly and the full size Queen Ann locks will look perfect. 

Ron

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline huntinguy

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 02:32:39 AM »
Thank you one and all.

Yes, Rich you are correct, I do want a lighter rifle and light slim fowler (never had a fowler before).

I did draw to scale on the blank I am using for the Beck and I just wasn't sure...

I do realize I am going smaller than the originals (with the A weight barrel) but, I have a thing for small.  I have never had my hands on a real Beck and didn't know about the lock size. This is good information for me.

My skills are not to where I would even try to make a true copy. I just want these to look "right" and be woods friendly.

Thank you all again.

Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 04:41:55 PM »
Beck traditionally used whatever locks he could buy imported from Germany, just like everyone else.

A Large Siler should be fine.  Remember, a small lock makes a gun look fat.  A larger lock makes for a slimmer looking gun.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 06:44:46 PM »
Beck traditionally used whatever locks he could buy imported from Germany, just like everyone else.

A Large Siler should be fine.  Remember, a small lock makes a gun look fat.  A larger lock makes for a slimmer looking gun.   ;)
I agree. You're pretty bright for a young whipper snapper. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?