Author Topic: making a hooked patent breech  (Read 3941 times)

tricorn hat

making a hooked patent breech
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:17:26 AM »
I have a .33 Siber pistol that shoots beautifully, but, never content, I want a lighter  .45 barrel for it.At the Cascade mountain men's show in Monroe, I bought a 9"X7/8"X.45", one-in 22" barrel from Joe William's Gun Works. I have copied an original breech before, so I know what I'm letting myself in for, but do any of you troops have any suggestions or hints that might make the job a little easier? Thanks Guys!

Offline Bob Roller

Re: making a hooked patent breech
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 02:37:03 PM »
As far as I know,there is no easy way to make a bolstered, hook breech.The Hege/Siber is a fine pistol,excellent quality and seldom seen here in the USA because of the cost when new.They also offered a fine Manton styled flintlock pistol but some had issues with the lock.I may still have a parts list here for both those guns but don't know if anything is still available for them.

Bob Roller

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 03:52:37 PM »
nice pistol. Found a schematic if that helps...

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 04:49:08 PM »
The text is German and the pictures are in English.These guns were actually made in Italy by Uberti(I think)
and passed off for a while as German made by Hege(HebsakerGessellschaft).Guenter Stifter told me he saw the boxes they came in and had the Made in Italy tape around them.They are nicely done no matter where they came from.An American dealer was in Italy and saw a number of them being readied for shipment to Germany and he asked about orders from America and was told that no American interest had developed and those that looed at them said,"Way to expensive".

Bob Roller

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 07:40:47 PM »
Darn good thing the pic's are in English..... ;D...Tom

tricorn hat

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 08:47:21 AM »
thank you for the input Guys, especially you, Bob, but--[wail!]-- it looks like I will have to whittle it out of a lump of mild as I did before.Right now, my right hand is partially gibbled by carpal tunnel syndrom so this may take a while.Must have the piece and me ready for the Heffley Creek shoot, so Taylor can murder me again.

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 03:57:51 PM »
I was just perusing and saw this.  Plans for a Nock patent breech for $1 http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/304/3/PLAN-NOCK

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 04:20:15 PM »
I just looked at this and the "actual"size will be determined by the size of the barrel.I have one in a one inch 50 caliber GM and used one in a one inch 58 caliber GM barrel. They're not hard to make IF you have a good lathe and a milling machine.I made both of mine from 8620 which works easily with ordinary tools.

Bob Roller