Author Topic: Edward Marshall's rifle  (Read 14534 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Edward Marshall's rifle
« on: March 15, 2014, 04:20:49 PM »
    I just completed the gun below for a client.  Since it is closely related to Mitch Yates' recent posting, I decided to post this for some comparison and contrast.   Both these guns certainly show their early origins and some of the earliest gun making in America.     My build uses a Rice 58 cal. Edward Marshall barrel, a slightly restyled Chambers Dale Johnson lock, and Davis triggers.  It weighs in at 8lb. 5 oz.  All the measurements are taken from John Bivins' examination of the original in the Mercer Museum at Doylestown, PA.   In my initial information I could not see the entry pipe  & carving; however, after installing an entry pipe I accessed Eric Kettenburg's excellent site and found an image of the area.  It appears that the original used pipes similar to first model Bess pipes.  I elected not to do a patch job and left things as they were.  So, here is a gun similar to Mitch's gun with a softer more worn carving and rounding barrel flats, etc.    Best to all,    Ron

« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 04:27:22 PM by rich pierce »
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Edward Marshall's rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 04:44:50 PM »
Very, very nice !  I wouldn't change one single thing. 

Offline davebozell

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 05:21:36 PM »
I really like your metal finishing.  Can you share your process?

Offline Telgan

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 05:42:05 PM »
Very appealing. What mod's did you do to the lock? Would like to see this particular lock made without frizzen bridle.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 05:50:39 PM »
Hey, that looks nice Ron.  I particularly like the shot of the lock side.  It's a nice color that seems to fit with the original well.  The wood choice seems to fit nicely too.  Great job!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 06:42:34 PM »
Nice work! Very warm and alive. I doubt I could see that gun with out picking it up. That color really works.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
Great rifle Ron.  I can see myself sitting on a stump waiting for Bulwinkle, with that rifle across my knees.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 07:34:26 PM »
That's a handsome rifle, Ron. So very appealing to my eye.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 07:48:37 PM »
Beautiful, all of it. well maybe the triggers could have been altered a bit, but the whole of it more than makes up for that. I especially like the placement and design of the cheek rest!!! Not being a natural right hander, I think even I could do well with it!!!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Hemo

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 08:16:54 PM »
I really like your metal finishing.  Can you share your process?
I like your metal finish too. Could you also share your process for darkening the wood color around the lock panels and buttplate?
Nice work!

Hemo

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 02:17:04 AM »
Great work. I love metal finish. That gun needs to be hunted with ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Matt / PA

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 02:53:10 AM »
Great work. I love metal finish. That gun needs to be hunted with ;D

Oh it will be!   :D
Thanks again Ron

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 03:00:09 AM »
Very nice. Worn just to a comfortable warm.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 03:26:20 AM »
Ron, I am also a fan of the finishing techniques you use to achieve the warmth in your work. Very nice rendition.

CARROLLCO

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 03:40:35 AM »
Very nice rifle. Excellent! Well executed, I especially like the carving and lock treatment.

Offline tpr-tru

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 03:46:01 AM »
To the Honor of The Force.      Missed you at Lewisburg,  but talked to the Boss.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 04:54:50 AM »
Looks great, Ron.  I got to handle the original once.  It was like having access to a sacred object, almost.
Andover, Vermont

Offline alex e.

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 09:16:15 AM »
Awsome! I hope it comes to breakfast this morning.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 02:13:48 PM »
Thanks for all the nice comments on the rifle,  The original is a grand rifle with a very interesting history,  it was a pleasure to work on this piece.  Alex, the gun went home with our newest member Matt/PA yesterday.  He will be putting it through its paces soon.  Perhaps he will report on that as he joins our fraternity .  I did not have to make any adjustments to the sights when I test fired the gun and it put the first five balls in a cloverleaf at 25 yds. so it has great potential.
     To those who asked about the metal finish, I have worked with boiling my metal  parts in a Clorox solution for years,  I have a full length heavy aluminum tank and use about 3 gallons of water to 1/3 gal of Clorox and boil for about 15-20 minutes.  I have to check to get the effect that I am looking for as different barrel steels react differently.  I then scrub the rust off with a Scotch Brite pad and use B.C. Super Blue to cover the barrel.  I  rub it back to the desired degree of wear. Tthe barrel is oiled and hung by the wood stove for a day then wiped down and waxed with dark brown Bri Wax. 
      I use Trans-Tint dyes to color in the dark and varying shaded non wear areas.   I use mainly three colors Dark Mission Brown, Honey gold and Reddish Brown.  Work from the darkest to the lightest.  You can use the honey gold to feather out the edges of the darker colors.  I apply them using small hunks of 4-0 steel wool.  You first apply your base stain color and put a thinned coat of finish on the stock before starting to shade the stock.  The seal coat of finish allows you to work with the shading to get the effect you want.  Allow the shading dyes to dry for about four hours before applying the next coat of finish.  I use a satin spar varnish.   

Best wishes
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 04:21:53 PM »
Beautiful Ron!

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Vomitus

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 09:39:10 PM »
  Beautiful rifle Ron. Sure would make a nice moose rifle! Gives a nice warm  feeling.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 04:01:01 PM »
Very nice Ron !! Cool to see two closely related guns done by different hands and different finish goals side by side.Thanks for posting!!Both of these original guns are some of my favorites.

Lewisburg is my favorite show of the year and it was good to you also.

Mitch
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:01:28 PM by aka tallbear »