Author Topic: Long rifle Carving  (Read 4523 times)

PINYONE

Long rifle Carving
« on: January 31, 2009, 10:37:08 PM »
This is a thought for many post I have seen on here about chisels and carving. Yes there are many classes and many tools availible. No to down classes, just don't have time to travel pay fuel- hotels- class cost. In 1970 I built my first long rifle. Had no clue what to do other than buy barrel- lock triggers and cast pieces. Ole time rifle maker William F. Decker sold me the goods. Said what tools do you have- I said none so he gave me a 4 sided wood rasp, a 3 sided file- and a 1/4 inch flat chisel, loaned me Kauffmans book and said don't bug me. Parts were $100. not bad for a 44' Douglas and a Handmade Decker Flintlock. Wood was from Southgate's Farm he had won in a shoot, real tight stripes. When making $2.25 an hour this was a lot of money. I looked through the book and decided to build a Rupp carved rifle thinking I was the dude. At 19 years old I stayed up till 2 in the morning every night working on it. Hand inlet the barrel, ramrod hole ,made all the thimbles and nose cap, and a 4 piece patchbox. My engraving chisel was a 12 penny case hardened nail that I shaped on a stone and put a wood handle on it. Then I drew out the carving not knowing most carvers have 40 chisels carved the whole ckeekpiece and under it . Decker told me to shade the back ground with a pencil held flat so I did. I got some potasium permanganate from him to stain it, it turned it black, couldn't see the stripes so I took most of it off and had some deep red color varnish that isn't made anymore the did 3 fine coats and steel wooled it out , then it looked like a long rifle, to me. well I sold it to a man from Lancaster PA who i worked with for $130. man was I rich, after years of KRA and knowing many of the Greats I thought back over the years and couldn't even believe that it worked. @ years ago the Ole Fellow called me and said he had Cancer and thought I might want it back, I said oh yeah but never went to see it. @ weeks later he called and said come on over not much time left- so I went. He said if you give the $100. its yours. I said okay and he went to get it- when he came back I thought from across the room hey didn't look bad. When he handed it to me, I was blown away the had used it many time never cleaned it and it looked 200 years old. The funny thing is it looked like a Adam Angstad rifle. The carving for a flay chisel looked absolutely real. The brass was deep blackish green, and the finish looked like a real worn red violin finish extremely aged, my Son came in wha has seen many period pieces and said this is one of the oldest long rifles you have ever brought home. The when I told him I made it a 19 he said this is my favorite rifle that you have ever built. So I would encourage some of you to not try to make Masterpieces just build a rifle and leave some imperfections here and there because if you study many of the early pieces it is obvious that the early makers were just building guns, not trying to build masterpiece rifles, as survival was more important. Hope you are not bored - the Great Pinyone

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
Re: Long rifle Carving
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 11:22:47 PM »
Great story.  I'd like to see photos of that rifle.
Larry Luck

PINYONE

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 11:57:56 PM »
High Larry- the rifle now resides in Pennsylvania- its kind of funny, the Man who bought it said he he 10 Contemporary Rifles and that this one was his keeper and favorite of the bunch. I saw last summer my first Hawken that I built 2nd. Its in Baltimore Maryland. Has an incredible piece of wood that back then was $18.00. Douglas Barrel and Russ Hamm  Flintlock,I even did a steel patchbox on it, with my nail engraving chisel.- man I tried to buy it back from the Family and they said they had many people want it since 1970 but wouldn't sell it. But it had the best old world look that you could ever want on a rifle. I am trying to retrace things I did before I became informed, thanks again The Great Pinyone

Bob Mac

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 12:48:02 AM »
Thanks Piny. Your post was just what I needed to read. I am just starting on a rebuild of a rifle I built 25 years ago. I'm reusing the barrel and lock but starting fresh on everything else. It's taking a long time to get started because I keep second guessing myself if I'm doing it right. Maybe I can convince myself that the old time makers weren't perfect all the time. Just need to do my best at this time and learn from the experience. If I screw up, make the best of it and do better on my next build. Tahnks
Bob

PINYONE

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 12:57:38 AM »
thanks Bob glad you liked the Post- as for your rebuild, follow your own guidelines. I have found that trying to build what everybody else is building is boring. and remember that today there are many Antique Rifles that are described as being American Folk Art as with the Horns. If you follow your inner feelings on what you would like to build- I would bet at the end you will be happy with the rifle- and it will be just what it should have been, in your case as in everyone's you are the Artist, so create a nice original rifle. The Great Pinyone