Author Topic: Trigger plates and sears  (Read 592 times)

Offline Maurice

Trigger plates and sears
« on: June 25, 2023, 05:31:20 PM »
Looking for comments on the technique where, on a standard simple pull trigger, a hole is drilled in the trigger lever (plate) in which to insert the sear lever so that the trigger follows the sear.

Were you pleased with the results? Or not? This technique is outlined in The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle.

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Trigger plates and sears
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 07:53:53 PM »
I made 2 single trigger target rifles,both for bullets and made my own locks.I used a single trigger with a very thin spring that kept the sear and trigger release bar in constant contact.The lock will determine the pressure needed to fire it.If it has a sear screw that precisely fits the hole in the sear the 1/3 of the job is done.Next is the pressure exerted by the sear spring AND its place on the top of the sear.The next is the depth and angle of the full cock position of the tumbler AND the strength loaded onto it by the mainspring.Fitting the trigger so the pivot point of the release bar is another factor. This my way of doing this and others have other ways that seem to work.
Bob Roller