Author Topic: flintlock pistol kit  (Read 6154 times)

WV mountaineer

flintlock pistol kit
« on: February 10, 2009, 01:29:00 AM »
Some one gave me a pistol kit that they didn't want, I'm going to start on it. It is a 67 caliber, I've never heard of that caliber. Does anyone know the diameter of a 67 caliber? I'm trying to find a round ball, or a mold so I can shoot it and I don't know the diameter. Can anyone help??????

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
Re: flintlock pistol kit
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 01:38:11 AM »
 You will just have to mike the bore. If it is a smooth bore, which I would assume it is, ball size is not terribly critical. It will shoot anything you can get down the barrel, including shot loads.

George F.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 02:30:58 AM »
To answer your question about caliber vs. diameter, caliber IS diameter. 67 caliber is .67 inches. You can probably use a thin patch and a .60 ball, but I am guessing. ...Geo.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 03:23:47 AM »
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 03:24:58 AM »
Do you have any idea who made the kit?  They may have some suggestions.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

WV mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 04:29:45 AM »
Theres no name of who made the pistol, on the barrel it says 67 caliber black powder only ULTRA-HI made in japan. It's a nice piece, looks to me it's a copy of a early 1700's british navel service pistol.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 04:34:24 PM »
Mountaineer, I am familiar with the pistol, it is commonly called a "Tower" pistol as most of them are marked tower on the lock. They can be made in to a pretty good looking and working pistol with a major lock tune and a LOT of wood removal. If the bore size is .67 you need a ball at least .025 under (.635) These sizes are only availabvle by special order. A .600 or.610 20 ga. ball is very common and will work with a thick patch. I can send you  some pictures of an original made br D. Egg for reference.....Ed

P.S you will have to mic that bore as they were not all the same, I have one that is .690
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 04:59:21 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline Benedict

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 05:54:20 PM »
If possible, please post the pictures so we can all enjoy them.

Thanks,
Bruce

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 03:50:19 AM »
I had one of those many moons ago. We loaded it with pretty much anything that would go down the bore, up to and including a newspaper wad and a handful of 6p finishing nails :o. Made kind of a buzzing sound when shot..........but that was when I was young and crazy, and I'm a lot older now.

WV mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 04:40:50 AM »
I'm trying to figure out how to send a picture so bare with me, I'm new on this forum. Yes your right, it's a copy of a tower, I found a picture of one in one of my many books and it is real close. I finished it for a friend and then traded my in line for it. I don't have much use for modern guns now, all I use are flintlocks. I have built three rifles now the last one being a A. Verner rifle. I figured if I get this pistol working I'll carry it in black powder season, and I'll load it with bird shot so when I jump a grouse," Well," you get the idea. It's a heavy brute.