Author Topic: Tuning a mainspring  (Read 4778 times)

DaveP (UK)

Tuning a mainspring
« on: May 09, 2014, 01:18:11 PM »
I had to replace the mainspring in an Enfield style percussion lock. I was able to buy a replacement from a reputable maker. I thought it fitted ok, but more experienced shooters pointed out to me that when the lock is cocked the spring mainly flexes near the bend. They said it would be better for the whole length of the spring arm to be working.
Having made a couple of longbows I do understand the point. Now with a bow you refine the action by working on the sides or inside faces of the limb. The back is effectively finished before tillering starts. Do the same considerations apply to metal springs or can I take the easy option and start grinding the outside face?
Also, given the rectangular cross section of the steel, should I be planning to reduce the width or the thickness to get it bending evenly?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Tuning a mainspring
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 04:47:35 PM »
It's true that the whole arm should flex.  But changing that on a spring already made is fraught with risk.  Number one, any material you remove by grinding may reduce the overall power of the spring.  Would you be happy with a weaker spring that is working all along its length?  As a  bow maker, you know that once you start tillering the bow, the draw weight can only decrease.

Where it is working depends on thickness and how it is bent when out of the lock, just like a bow.  A recurved bow works hard in the tips because of the bend.  So one way of making a spring work all along its length is to control the bend of the working arm.  That'll involve heating to working temperature,re-bending the spring, hardening and tempering.  Then you hope you don't hear that dreaded "TINK" sound.

From your bow making you know that narrowing the spring will decrease its power in that area proportionally to the fraction moved, but thinning it will decease the power logarithmically. So narrowing is the safest approach, if you do decide to grind.  Theoretically, until a stiff area of the spring starts working, you haven't lost any power.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:13:40 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 07:29:37 PM »
Tom's explanation is spot on.  I heard it put another way, reading the Bowyer's Bible series on bow making.  Removing wood(metal) from the belly(faces) effects change EIGHT TIMES more than removing stock from the sides.  That is profound!  On a steel spring, you can safely remove metal from either face of the spring, since unlike a yew longbow, there are no growth rings to violate.
I'd be ore interested in what the spring looks like relaxed (out of the lock), how much load is on it when installed and at rest, and does the lower limb remain straight from the bend to the claw at full cock?  Enfield mainsprings are powerful.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Joe S

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 09:31:49 PM »
That is profound!

It is also correct. 

Mainsprings are cheap.  Why not try and fix this one?  If you mess it up, just get a new one. 

westbj2

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 12:18:55 AM »
At full cock, the bottom limb should be as straight as one of your arrows.  Be careful if you decide to use a grinder.  Any good spring is file-able and this is much more controllable.   Use a mainspring vise initially to indicate where to start and get it in the ballpark.  As the spring begins to take the desired shape under tension you will have to take it in and out of the lock.  You should end up with a uniform taper in width and thickness.
Jim

DaveP (UK)

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 08:22:16 PM »
Well I have to say, given what I know about the source of this spring, any fumbling about with heat treatment by myself is not going to make matters better. Its really not my forte.
I might indulge myself with a little filing or grinding, but perhaps someone could give me a second opinion.
Do I really need to?

Some advice about TinyPic would be appreciated: How long will this image "stay there", and would it be good manners to remove it in a few weeks?

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 10:18:36 PM »
Despite opinions I hear along the way on how this or that should "ideally" work, I use things like this until there is a problem of some sort that is noticeable to me.  In this case, if the rifle goes bang each time the trigger is pulled, I would use the spring like it is until it breaks..which it may never do.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 11:15:33 PM »
 That spring appears to be functional and no need for anything more
unless you want to bevel an polish the limbs which is only for appearance
as far as I can tell.

Bob Roller

DaveP (UK)

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 01:02:26 AM »
Well, Thank you - That's good enough for me!
Don't fix things that ain't broke is a sound precept, but then so is the idea of taking care so that things don't break...
A man like me can lose his way very easily  :D

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 03:52:21 PM »
Don't fix things that ain't broke is a sound precept, but then so is the idea of taking care so that things don't break...

....and then there is the theory that if it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is. ::)