Author Topic: burnt oil finished metals...  (Read 6589 times)

kaintuck

burnt oil finished metals...
« on: May 18, 2014, 04:17:53 AM »
OK, I finished rusting with LMF cold browning my samples of cold roll steel plate. I carded one side smooth with OOOO steel wool, left the other side rough.
The plate had 2 applications of LMF browning and was nice and even. I coated both sides with motor oil from the old lawn mower. Took a propane torch and heated one end one side very hot, the played the torch up the plate not getting the other areas as hot.
I let it air cool. Carded both sides with OOOO steel wool, then rem oiled it.
The color is dark black to me....but not even, and I tried to even it with the steel wool, but couldn't. Where the oil pooled, it gave a 'ring' or edge line.....
1. I just want to see if the color is fast,
2. if it has stopped rusting, because I didn't soda it 
3. And can I steel wool/1200 grit sand some 'wear' to it.....

I do like the dark dark color....IF this will do the same on barrel steel......and other steel parts....looks pretty!

This message approved by tomtom who oversees all my work, and likes my methods.....   
Marc

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Different metal finish, from 'batguano'
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 07:45:35 AM »
I sand blasted an Estwing hatchet and colored the metal with LMF rustbrown formula. After three aplications it was very, very dark brown, almost black and without any boiling. I just washed it with soap and water after the last carding and oiled it up. No further rusting.
Psalms 144

kaintuck

burnt oil finished metals...
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 05:12:19 PM »

high heat on the left end, heated just enuff to burn off the oil in the middle part, and no oil at the top. this side carded.

again, high hot heat to burn off oil on the left side, middle just enuff torch to burn the oil off, then no oil or heat at the far right....uncarded side.

as you can see both sides still show rust process in process....i will check in a few days....if it keeps rusting, then i may do the bakeing soda wash....then check it again.

just plain old cold roll steel, 2 coats of LMF, rusted 2 weeks in the bathroom steam....

Archie Otto

Re: burnt oil finished metals...
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 06:28:54 PM »
I wonder how used 15w40 from a diesel would do?  Might not need to burn it since it is as black as my ex's heart. 

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 07:07:37 PM »
I wonder how used 15w40 from a diesel would do?  Might not need to burn it since it is as black as my ex's heart. 

I feel your pain Archie -- I have an EX like that also >:(.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 07:09:40 PM »
Steel heated near red wiped with linseed makes wonderful and durable finish. Stinks while smoking hot, so do this outside.

and....... sometimes relationships fall apart, and it can be very painful, but please, this is a public forum.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

kaintuck

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 07:18:45 PM »
I just tried some 1000gt wet/dry sandpaper....this finish is TOUGH! But it did remove some off the corners....but not the flat areas....and I was using a goodly amount of elbow grease!
This may be my choice to copy Kens beautiful Moravian rifle.....I just want it to look like it was found in someone's attic!!!

And, boys....just go over to any beach at spring break.....you'll forget the past ;D

::)sorry acer~ I'm a pirate at heart and have a ornery tom kat in the shop with me all the time.....he rubs off on me.... ::)
Marc

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 07:23:44 PM »
...no problem, Marc, been there, done that...

Is that your cat's hide in the photo?

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 07:26:36 PM »
I would not heat a barrel that hot, to avoid scale etc in the bore.
Andover, Vermont

kaintuck

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 09:02:30 PM »

Is that your cat's hide in the photo?

Ha!....that's the Queens window cushion...where she sits and looks down on her domain....with all of it's lowly subjects......she allows us to live here, just to serve her..... :-\

Marc

oldone

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 10:14:38 PM »
Kaintuck, I think we own the same cat?? ;D

kaintuck

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 04:21:05 AM »
It's not giving anymore rust off when I rub it. But the dark color seems the same as my GM SMR barrel that was done with the LMF instructions......so, my final conclusion: LMF instructions gives the same, with out the danger of have lines where the heavy oil pooled while burning......

;D
Marc

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 04:03:51 PM »
Kaintuck,
The finish on this rifle was done by browning and then coated with used motor oil and burned off with a torch.  It is quite durable.  The metal doesn't have to be heated enough to cause a scaling problem the burn the oil off.

Curtis
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:31:33 PM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 02:59:28 AM »
Mr. Schippers, (sorry if I misspelled his name the book is out in the shop somewhere) describes this motor oil method in his engraving book. I have tried it and like the look, seems pretty durable. I just heat just till the oil flashes and let it burn out and repeat 2 or 3 times then dunk it in the oil to cool and wipe it down real good.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

kaintuck

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 02:33:02 PM »
Yup, that looks really good, and even. I purposely heated area way hot to see what would happen.....not good results and not necessary to get a finish. So I will coat with oil and just heat flash method, warm the metal, but not cook it.
I plan making more souther Mtn rifles with steel, so I want to match all the metal.
Thank you for the info and the pictures...nicely done!
Marc