Author Topic: using magic maple  (Read 4227 times)

Offline Michigan Flinter

using magic maple
« on: May 24, 2014, 11:09:46 PM »
 I have some magic maple stain and thinking on using it on my current build. I have no instructions on it's use.Do I use heat after putting it on the stock?Do I us baking soda paste to stop the chemical reaction ? What is the best overcoat to use?This is a mountain style rifle that I'm making.The wood is red maple .Thank you in advance for all your input.

R.D.Metcalf

Re: using magic maple
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 11:53:58 PM »
  I  wouldn't  use  MM  at  all.  I've  never  used  it  because  of  all  of  the  horror  stories. Wahkon Bay Aqua Fortis  is  the  route  I  took.  I  realize  this  isn't  pertinent  to  the  questions  you  asked  and  I  mean  no  disrespect  but  I  would  seriously  fight  shy  of  MM.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 11:55:56 PM »
   I don't remember the details, but look through the ALR archives, there's lots of info on Magic Maple.  If I recall correctly, Magic Maple uses Chromium Trioxide, which I've seen turn stocks an olive color after a period of time.  Aquafortis is readily available nowadays from Track and other suppliers, why mess with anything else?  
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 01:56:01 AM »
Don't use it.  The stuff should be banned.  Why would anybody sell this stuff?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 02:29:10 AM »
I have a nice green gun to prove that it works. Goes on a beautiful brown, slowly turns green in sunlight.

If you think I wanna cry over my gun, I saw a fabulous Chippendale highboy that was green.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

galamb

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 02:39:22 AM »
I have a nice green gun to prove that it works. Goes on a beautiful brown, slowly turns green in sunlight.

Perfect for those St. Patrick's Day shoots  ;D

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 03:11:02 AM »
Hi,
Chromium trioxide won't turn all stocks green but you don't know which ones it will.  There are far better stains than magic maple and chromium trioxide so why take a risk?

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 03:22:01 AM »
You convinced me I've always used aqua fortis and will continue.Magic maple must be what Art Holley used on the rifle I own light green with  a tint of brown. Thanks again for your conmen ts.

kaintuck

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 04:12:07 AM »

If you think I wanna cry over my gun, I saw a fabulous Chippendale highboy that was green.

The first camo flinter used in Indian war! Bet it could sit right next to one of those hideous BLUE flinters :o

;D ;D

Marc