Author Topic: Patch boxes on early Berks Co. and Reading rifles  (Read 2471 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Patch boxes on early Berks Co. and Reading rifles
« on: May 28, 2014, 02:14:17 AM »
Hi folks,
I am building an early Berks Co. or Reading rifle for Morgan's Rifle Corps.  It must represent a gun that could have been used during the Revolution.  My inspiration comes from RCA #20-23.  Is there evidence of brass patchboxes on Rev War rifles from Reading or Berks County?  I would love to do a nice simple brass patchbox because I haven't done one for a long time but would that be appropriate for a Berks gun made prior to the Rev War?  Many Reading and Berks guns with brass boxes that Kindig called pre-Rev war, Shumway and others consider much later.  I realize that there are Rev War period brass boxes on some Christian Springs and Lancaster guns but is there any evidence of them on Berks County guns?  I appreciate advice from those of you familiar with these guns.

dave
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 02:16:09 AM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: Patch boxes on early Berks Co. and Reading rifles
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 02:46:29 AM »
Well, "Gun #22" has got one!  #24 and #25, though perhaps a bit later (1780's-1790's???) have boxes that are not too dissimilar to that on the presumably-earlier Gun #22.  I would have no problem whatsoever considering the metal box that is on 22 as being Revolutionary War period.   ;)

My personal opinion is that the series of 20-22 (and 26) are probably from about the 1770 mark... give or take.  Some of the others appear later, but perhaps not by a whole lot.

I got to see and handle the famous #21 some years ago.  It is awesome.  There are shaping details that I would NEVER have gotten just by looking at the picture books.  Berks guns can be almost as unique (and difficult!) as Lehigh guns.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 03:04:41 AM »
Dave

I would go with a simple box ala #22.With some of the research currently being done simple brass boxes being around during the Rev War is certainly a possibility.

Mitch

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 09:50:25 PM »
Hi Chris and Mitch,
Thanks for your input.  I think I will go with a simple brass box.  I hope to get down to PA this summer and see some original Reading and Berks guns.  I did see one or two many years ago at Vince Noll's museum I believe. But at the time I was interested in J P Beck and did not sketch any of the other guns.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."